Firestick Won’t Work with New Router
SilverSpringer1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently cut the cord to go to steaming only. I have been a Fios customer for a decade. I had to get a new router G3100 with the new wireless internet plan I got (I had Gigabit connection before but it’s technically new). 

ever since I installed the new router, my Amazon Firesticks are basically useless, defeating the purpose of cutting the cord. I turned off the SON and changed the channel for 5G to 36. I have tried a new Firestick, factory reset of an old one. 

nothing is working. Is there an issue specifically with Fios or this router that is causing this? Is there a fix? 

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Firestick Won’t Work with New Router
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Turning off SON then connect to the 2.4GHz is a dated setup.

With the introduction of the IoT SSID, you should just turn it on and connect the Firestick to that. But I don't think that is even the issue. It might has to Firestick not supporting "happy eyeballs" RFC. You might want to do a packet capture of the Firestick at the network level to see what exactly the Firestick is doing.

VZ does not provide DNSv6 because the DNSv4 server happily resolves names into IPv6 addresses.

View solution in original post

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@SilverSpringer wrote:

I recently cut the cord to go to steaming only. I have been a Fios customer for a decade. I had to get a new router G3100 with the new wireless internet plan I got (I had Gigabit connection before but it’s technically new). 

ever since I installed the new router, my Amazon Firesticks are basically useless, defeating the purpose of cutting the cord. I turned off the SON and changed the channel for 5G to 36. I have tried a new Firestick, factory reset of an old one. 

nothing is working. Is there an issue specifically with Fios or this router that is causing this? Is there a fix? 

When you shut off SON on the 3100 did you give the 2.4ghz and 5Ghz networks different SSIDs? I assume the Firesticks you have need to use 2.4Ghz networks, and that's why you had the initial problem. Make sure the settings stuck on the router after you changed them. There is no reason for Firesticks to not work with the 3100.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Turning off SON then connect to the 2.4GHz is a dated setup.

With the introduction of the IoT SSID, you should just turn it on and connect the Firestick to that. But I don't think that is even the issue. It might has to Firestick not supporting "happy eyeballs" RFC. You might want to do a packet capture of the Firestick at the network level to see what exactly the Firestick is doing.

VZ does not provide DNSv6 because the DNSv4 server happily resolves names into IPv6 addresses.

Jakeohio726
Enthusiast - Level 1

I called Support last night and the gentlemen said he checked my connection and my 5G Router Box was not in a good location. I asked "Do you know my house layout? Do you know where my 5G box is right now?" My box is right next the window and should be getting the full amount of MB/s speed but I am only getting half or less than half of the 300 MB/s everyone has been talking about. I cannot even use my firesticks in my house since i went full wireless. I shut off Century Link and that was a bad mistake, no internet, no streaming. I tried everything and nothing. I MIGHT just have to send the 5G Box back to Verizon and get Century Link Back. Yes i am connected to the 5G on my Firestick. But i need something and Verizon doesn't help they just look on their computer and tell you all is working properly. My Vent for today. Have a good one peeps and good luck!!!

0 Likes