Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
Firestick Won’t Work with New Router
SilverSpringer1

I recently cut the cord to go to steaming only. I have been a Fios customer for a decade. I had to get a new router G3100 with the new wireless internet plan I got (I had Gigabit connection before but it’s technically new). 

ever since I installed the new router, my Amazon Firesticks are basically useless, defeating the purpose of cutting the cord. I turned off the SON and changed the channel for 5G to 36. I have tried a new Firestick, factory reset of an old one. 

nothing is working. Is there an issue specifically with Fios or this router that is causing this? Is there a fix? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Firestick Won’t Work with New Router
Cang_Household
Super User
Super User

Turning off SON then connect to the 2.4GHz is a dated setup.

With the introduction of the IoT SSID, you should just turn it on and connect the Firestick to that. But I don't think that is even the issue. It might has to Firestick not supporting "happy eyeballs" RFC. You might want to do a packet capture of the Firestick at the network level to see what exactly the Firestick is doing.

VZ does not provide DNSv6 because the DNSv4 server happily resolves names into IPv6 addresses.

View solution in original post

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@SilverSpringer wrote:

I recently cut the cord to go to steaming only. I have been a Fios customer for a decade. I had to get a new router G3100 with the new wireless internet plan I got (I had Gigabit connection before but it’s technically new). 

ever since I installed the new router, my Amazon Firesticks are basically useless, defeating the purpose of cutting the cord. I turned off the SON and changed the channel for 5G to 36. I have tried a new Firestick, factory reset of an old one. 

nothing is working. Is there an issue specifically with Fios or this router that is causing this? Is there a fix? 

When you shut off SON on the 3100 did you give the 2.4ghz and 5Ghz networks different SSIDs? I assume the Firesticks you have need to use 2.4Ghz networks, and that's why you had the initial problem. Make sure the settings stuck on the router after you changed them. There is no reason for Firesticks to not work with the 3100.

Cang_Household
Super User
Super User

Turning off SON then connect to the 2.4GHz is a dated setup.

With the introduction of the IoT SSID, you should just turn it on and connect the Firestick to that. But I don't think that is even the issue. It might has to Firestick not supporting "happy eyeballs" RFC. You might want to do a packet capture of the Firestick at the network level to see what exactly the Firestick is doing.

VZ does not provide DNSv6 because the DNSv4 server happily resolves names into IPv6 addresses.