Fox 4k pic is tearing/macro blocking
yamvmax

So the 4k fox channel looks excellent...except for some tearing and macroblock with movement. I don't see any of this on the 4k app, just the 4k channel. Any ideas??

0 Likes
Re: Fox 4k pic is tearing/macro blocking
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Suzook wrote:

So the 4k fox channel looks excellent...except for some tearing and macroblock with movement. I don't see any of this on the 4k app, just the 4k channel. Any ideas??

Could be the Fios box is sending 2160p 60fps when the signal is 30fps. The interpolation could be causing the issues you see. Also I've seen the channel do that when you first tune in, then clear up, then get bad again as though some kind of buffering was taking place. You could try going into the service menu for the box and make sure the resolution is 2160p and the frame rate is 30fps.

yamvmax

Why is it in service menu, and not settings? That's odd.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Suzook wrote:

Why is it in service menu, and not settings? That's odd.

Gotta ask the engineers, it IS in the service menu though and the box defaults to 60fps.

yamvmax

Well it's definitely some sort of issue with the FiOS fox feed. Doesn't happen at all on ESPN 4k. I tried changing to 4k30p, and it didn't help.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Suzook wrote:

Well it's definitely some sort of issue with the FiOS fox feed. Doesn't happen at all on ESPN 4k. I tried changing to 4k30p, and it didn't help.

Have you tried the Fox Sports app on your TV? Might give you a better idea of the PQ Fox is delivering. I know 2 years ago they were doing 720P HDR upscaled to 2160P HDR. I don't know if that's changed.

yamvmax

Yes, the app is perfectly fine. There's something wrong with the FiOS feed.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Suzook wrote:

Yes, the app is perfectly fine. There's something wrong with the FiOS feed.

Look at this LONG ongoing discussion, then post your problem in the Fios Direct forum on the group. You'll be linked to tech support that way.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32387028-FiOS-Linear-4K-Discussion