Freezing and pixilating tv
cristiansmom

We just had our Verizon Fios installed a couple of months ago! Before that we had Cox Cable.. since we got Verizon we have had nothing but problems with freezing and pixelating on lots of channels... Of course when I try to get in touch with them I get people that don't understand English which is very frustrating... Anyway when we had Cox we had no issues with picture. They used the same coax cable that we had with Cox. They only replace the main splitter we replaced the other one... I don't know what else to do. We're paying for this service and half the time we're just so frustrated because we can't watch what we want... When I checked the SNR on these channels that freeze or pixelated it usually says fair or error... What else can we try??? Help... 

0 Likes
Re: Freezing and pixilating tv
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

One thing I always suggest when experiencing television reception is to do a full top to bottom inspection of existing cables, connectors and splitters.

It isn't unheard of for DiY cable installs to contain poorly terminated cables, loose connectors, loose connections and more.

I was experiencing degradation in television performance. It ended up being open ports on a splitter and stingers being cut too short.

I purchased tools, bulk cable and hardware. The end result is infinitely improved viewing with SNR readings 38+ consistently with errors rarely being logged by the VMS or remotes. 🙂

Short of that, would it be possible to temporarily run a known good coaxial cable from the Verizon provided splitter to the STB? 🤔

cristiansmom

This wasn't a  diy install it was done by Verizon... Like I said it's the same coax cables that we had with Cox and never had any issues with picture.. as soon as we got the Verizon installed I would say the first day we didn't watch TV much but by the second day when we actually were watching it the problems started... 

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did Cox run the coaxial cable throughout the home?

Errors and pixelation are often indicative of a bad or poor cable. Bypassing parts of the installed cable by running a temporary cable and doing a stare & compare will prove if this applies to your situation or not.

cristiansmom

Yes, Cox installed it... Like I said before we switced to  Verizon we never had an issue with picture freezing or pixilation. (

We switched because of price) Two days after we switch to Verizon the pictures started with the pixelation and freezing. 😢

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@cristiansmom wrote:

Yes, Cox installed it... Like I said before we switced to  Verizon we never had an issue with picture freezing or pixilation. (

We switched because of price) Two days after we switch to Verizon the pictures started with the pixelation and freezing. 😢

Are you sure Verizon replaced ALL of the splitters with MoCa 2.0 splitters? There aren't any splitters hiding that you aren't aware of are there? There aren't any boosters in the system? As Dexman said, the low SNR is indicative of bad cable, connectors or splitters. Perhaps when doing the install the Verizon tech may have loosened up a connector, or didn't tighten one properly. Check EVERY ONE just to make sure especially the one to the ONT and the splitter. If you are sure all is tight, power cycle EVERY device, starting with the ONT. Unplug power for the entire system, power up the ONT, then the Router, when stable power up the Fios box.  How many Fios boxes are in the system?

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If possible, could pictures of the cabling be posted? Specifically the connections at the ONT, the splitters and at the rear of the STBs?

Terminating coaxial cable is fairly easy. There are a few rules to follow. If done correctly, video transmission should be clean & clear (unless there is a problem upstream).