G3100 and TV One and TV One Mini
kazon2251
Enthusiast - Level 2

A few months back I replaced my G1100 router with G3100 router to mainly extend the range. And it seems ever since then I've had nothing but problems with my TV One and TV one mini boxes freezing and needed constant daily reboots. Error messages like not connected to coax and "we have discovred a network issue". Verizon tech came out and replaced DVR/TV One box and put i new splitter and that has not fixed the problem.

Has anyone had this problem? It's quite irritating that simply upgrading the router has caused so many problems. The internet connect works great.

I bought a new router, a TP-Link AC1900, to replace it. I have not connected it yet.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G3100 and TV One and TV One Mini
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have to use a Verizon router with the Fios ONE boxes.  The router you bought can be used as a WiFi access point for other devices, but it won't help with your Fios ONE Mini problems.

If your Mini is connected to coax, it is using the MoCA LAN created by the G3100.  If it's not getting a strong MoCA signal, that would cause all sorts of problems.  Make sure your coax connections are tight,  there aren't any unused jacks and there are no amplifiers in your coax network.

You can also try connecting the mini via Ethernet or WiFi.  To switch to Ethernet, run a cable from the G3100 to the mini.  Then, unplug the coax and power cycle the mini.  To switch to WiFi, unplug the coax and make sure nothing is plugged into it's Ethernet port.  Then power cycle the mini.  If either Ethernet or WiFi work better than coax, you'll know you have a problem with your coax cables or splitters.

There is a diagnostic screen in the Fios ONE boxes available from the troubleshooting menu.  Acces the diagnostic info on the main box and you'll be able to review signal strengths on all connected boxes.  This is a very good way to help figure out what's going on.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have to use a Verizon router with the Fios ONE boxes.  The router you bought can be used as a WiFi access point for other devices, but it won't help with your Fios ONE Mini problems.

If your Mini is connected to coax, it is using the MoCA LAN created by the G3100.  If it's not getting a strong MoCA signal, that would cause all sorts of problems.  Make sure your coax connections are tight,  there aren't any unused jacks and there are no amplifiers in your coax network.

You can also try connecting the mini via Ethernet or WiFi.  To switch to Ethernet, run a cable from the G3100 to the mini.  Then, unplug the coax and power cycle the mini.  To switch to WiFi, unplug the coax and make sure nothing is plugged into it's Ethernet port.  Then power cycle the mini.  If either Ethernet or WiFi work better than coax, you'll know you have a problem with your coax cables or splitters.

There is a diagnostic screen in the Fios ONE boxes available from the troubleshooting menu.  Acces the diagnostic info on the main box and you'll be able to review signal strengths on all connected boxes.  This is a very good way to help figure out what's going on.

kazon2251
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks! So when I go into the troubleshooting menu I get the following message:

Pressing the INFO button just tells me to reboot everything but that soloution only helps for maybe a few minutes or hours before the connection is hosed again.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Poke around in the menus to find the network diagnostic screen.  I don't remember the exact sequence to get to it, but it's not that hard to find.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gs0b wrote:

Poke around in the menus to find the network diagnostic screen.  I don't remember the exact sequence to get to it, but it's not that hard to find.

Menu>customer support>top support tools>network diagnostics.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks clem53!  I'm not near a box now, so I couldn't verify.  Much appreciated!

Kazzon225: Have you tried using Ethernet or WiFi instead of coax?

kazon2251
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not that technically savvy to do that work đź™‚

All my issues started when I went to the new WiFi 6 router. The easiest thing seems to just fallback to the G1100 router.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kazon225 wrote:

I'm not that technically savvy to do that work đź™‚

It's very easy.  Unplug coax from the mini.  Power cycle it.  It will then automatically try to connect to a special WiFi network created by the router.  You'll know quickly if it works or not.

For Ethernet, you'll need to run an Ethernet cable from the router to the mini.  Then, unplug coax and power cycle.  Like WiFi, it will automatically connect to Ethernet.  The hardest part here is running a cable.  Depending on your home's layout, this may be easy, or not.

If either of the above approaches solve the problem, you'll know there's an issue with your coax network.

The G3100 is designed to work with the fios one boxes.  It is very unlikely it's the cause of the problem.  However, if you still have a G1100 you could swap it in to see if anything changes.  If the problem doesn't go away, that points to a coax network issue.  If it does resolve itself, you may have gotten a damaged router and should ask Verizon for a replacement.

And the diagnostic screen that clem53 and I have mentioned will give you and us information about the quality of the network connections.  If you don't understand what it means, post a picture of it.  If you swap routers, use this screen to determine if anything changes in the coax network.

It's not clear if this is happening on the main box, the minis, or all boxes.  If you can describe that, it will help.  And the diagnostic screen, which shows the connection quality to each box...

kazon2251
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well the new/old G1100 router arrived and I installed it and like magic all my setup box issues went away. No more constant rebooting and freezing. Not sure why the G3100 gave me so many problems but I'll be returning it.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Marco21

Have similar problem with freezing tv connected to wireless mini box. Every morning, while trying to watch tv connected to mini, the picture freezes. After calling Verizon and resetting the boxes, problem still exist. About an hour later, picture comes on and is good for the rest of the day, until the next morning, the same problem. Had technician out and he tested the equipment. No apparent problem but said the mini boxes have nothing but trouble working wirelessly. 

0 Likes