Getting rid of set top box rental fees....
Waambo
Enthusiast - Level 3

So, after about a year or so of getting a sick feeling every time I look at my Verizon bill, realizing that my $165/month plan is actually almost $260/month if I actually want to watch TVI have decided to use TiVO and cablecards.

When I go to the "Change my TV Equipment" section of MyVerizon, I am not surprised to find that I am unable to select 0 set top boxes.  Doesn't matter how many cablecards I want, I have to rent that set top box.

I don't want to rent a set top box.  Why is Verizon forcing me to?

(I am actually renting 2 dvrs and 2 ipc boxes from Verizon - my first choice was to simply send a couple of the boxes back, but the way Verizon plays with so-called discounts, sending boxes back makes no difference in what they want me to pay, and in some combinations of less than 4 TVs, actually increases my costs)

0 Likes
Re: Getting rid of set top box rental fees....
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You may have to call.

Try ordering the cable card first. Get it going, then order out the stbs.

0 Likes
Waambo
Enthusiast - Level 3
Thanks. I tried that and they were less than helpful - said I was required to rent a box. Just one more piece of straw on the "cord cutting" camel's back, I guess. Looking further into Tivo, I'm not too enamored with their terms, either. Was considering two Bolts, but when I spoke with their customer service, I was told that each Bolt requires it's own separate subscription. Problem is I have 2 4k televisions, and their Tivo Mini only does 1080p max.
0 Likes
Coffee_SciFi

Any update on this... I turned in my STB back in December. I AM STILL GETTING CHARGED!

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

That is definitely not true if you get tivo that is the whole point is to get rid of set top boxes. At worst if they make you get a box then there is a digital adapter which is less than $10. But if you need 2 cable cards for the 2 tivos it is probably about $10 for the both plus the tivo subscription. Will you save that much?

As far the 4k the VMS and IP clients are only 1080 as well. Broadcast are also mostly is 1080 so you should be ok there. 4k right now is mainly with streaming services. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

How did you return?

If in store, domyou have a receipt?

If by shipping do you have tracking number?

Have you contacted support?

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes