Getting sound on the patio
paulpes

Have a HD TV connected in our kitchen via HDMI and a SD TV on our patio to the RF coax line that I use in the warmer weather.  Have to leave the TV in the kitchen on in order to get sound on the patio.  If the TV in the kitchen is off, no sound.  Other fix is to remove HDMI line from box. Any udpates on software or other boxes that may be available to solve this issue?  Any help is appreciated as summer is almost on us!  Thanks. 

0 Likes
Re: Getting sound on the patio
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Let me chime in just so you don't think nobody is reading your post(s).

The problem you described arouses my curiosity from a technical standpoint.  However, I have no easy way to test if my newer Arris brand set-top boxes behave the same way your older STB does.

We have an individual STB for each TV.  To feed a TV from a remote STB via coax would require a long run of coax, or moving a TV.  Neither of those is really feasible.

I suspect more people than not have the same configuration we do...a separate STB for each TV.  Thus it may be a while before you get an accurate answer to your question, if you get one at all.

Good luck.

0 Likes
paulpes

Please note that this is the same problem as has been previously identified in the locked post:  http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/Audio-Problems-and-shortcomings-of-the-Cis... It is a known issue for both the Cisco 335 (which I have) and the 435. In a May 2012 post, a Verizon employee indicated, "We are aware of the RF out problems with the box. This is to be resolved in the next box software update". That was three years ago and no software updates have been made as far as I can tell. Therefore, that is why I was wondering if any workarounds or new boxes are available to solve this issue. Thanks.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Yes, I understand all that, and I also understand why a Moderator felt it appropiate to close a thread that's 3 year old.

In any case, this may be the answer your question:  Yes, a newer STB, Arris IPC1100, will work in the configuration you're using.  You'd get sound on your patio TV without turning the turning the kitchen TV on or disconnecting the HDMI cable.

I just duplicated your setup here out of curiosity.  I ran a length of RG-8 coax from an IPC1100 at one end of our basement to an old analog TV at the other end.  The ICP1100 is connected to the TV it normally serves by HDMI cable.  I left the HDMI cable connected and the HDMI fed TV turned off, and I was able to get picture and sound on the old analog set turned to channel 3.

So there's your solution.  Retire your old set-top box and replace it with a current model.  Smiley Wink

0 Likes