HBO on DEMAND VZ vs Comcast
WRKPA
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was at my daughters house, and watched some shows on demand from Comcast, that I can't get with VZ on demand. The cost is the same so, it's VZ who is not showing them. My question is why? or should I drop VZ, and go with Comcast for better service? I've been a long time customer, and prefer watching these shows on my TV, and not on my computer!

0 Likes
Re: HBO on DEMAND VZ vs Comcast
AndyO3
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm just finding the same thing - my buddy with Comcast gets Game of Thrones and The Wire on HBO on demand. **bleep**???

0 Likes
Re: HBO on DEMAND VZ vs Comcast
Drewboston

I've recently switched from the Xfinity X1 platform to a Fios Quantum 150/150 plan.

I really wanted fast internet speed - which Fios definitely delivers. The TV experience is just horrible, especially for the money. The VOD content is seriously lacking, and there's no reason to subscribe to HBO through Comcast, assuming you have some way to instead buy and stream HBO Go.

The DVR interface is about 10 years behind, and is actually one of the reasons I left Fios back in 2009. I had read the operating system had been upgraded - but sadly, it has only marginally improved over the last 6 years.

While I really like what Comcast is trying to do for the TV experience, unfortunately the X1 platform is only available when packaged with a Comcast internet package. Purching a Fios internet only plan, then adding X1 tv ridiculously expensive considering you are paying for 2 high bandwith pipelines to your house. Comcast internet is pretty crappy and unreliable. While fast download speeds do happen, there are often times when streaming on various devices is choppy as the connection intermittently slows down. Uploads are always slow for large files.

Overall, I'm bummed because it feels like the consumer doesn't have great choices. VZ clearly has a great pipe, but unfortunately the software that sits upon it is dated and rigid. Comcast is at least providing a lot of content and attempting to improve the user interface, and thus the overall experience. Their connections are unreliable, which then disrupts both internet & tv.

Ultimately, you have to choose between good internet (VZ) or good tv (Comcast)

0 Likes