HD Channels
mi3sons1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been asking this question for years, and I keep thinking somone at Verizon will eventually have an answer.  When will Verizon set up their HD channels like Optimum?  I have an HDTV and an HD box.  Why isn't the system smart enough to give me the HD version of the channel I'm on without having to switch to a separate channel for HD?  This is absolutely ridiculous that the cable companies have figured out how to do this (I believe Direct TV or Dish does the same thing) and Verizon, a technology company, cannot provide this feature.  I don't want to press the C button to get the HD channel - just give me the HD channel.  This cannot be that hard to do. 

I would love to hear from a Verizon person explaining why this can't be done.

Thanks.

Eric L.

0 Likes
Re: HD Channels
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

The latest build (at least for the Moto boxes) has an option in the system settings to auto tune to the HD channels if available and you enter an SD channel.

0 Likes
fossil1
Contributor - Level 1

I have FiOS Quantum.  The Quantum Media Server is a Motorola box - it replaced my Moto 7216..  I don't know for sure, but I'd guess the quantum  IP Devices that replaced the STBs are also Moto.  The feature you describe is not available to FiOS Quantum subscribers.  I'm guessing that the feature is part of the Interactive Media Guide 1.9, which I foolishly gave up in the switch to Quantum. 

0 Likes
fossil1
Contributor - Level 1

I was wrong.  While the properties page for the Media Server indicates the "homepage" is www.motorola.com, the manufacturer is ARRIS, which also makes the C*mc*st Xfinit* boxes. See the article at  http://www.fiercecable.com/story/arris-sales-boosted-comcast-time-warner-cable-demand-gateways/2014-...

... Arris also generated $150 million in sales from Verizon (NYSE: VZ), which has said that it will begin to deploy a six-tuner DVR from Arris. 

0 Likes
mi3sons1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply.  I just got a new HD box for a new HDTV and it's an Arris (see other post) - the same box I got a year-and-a-half ago (no DVR).  I'll have to look at the setup, but I don't recall seeing an auto-HD channel option.  I also don't have Quantum, but apparently it's not available for that either.  I find it really hard to believe that this is not a standard feature; I don't understand why it has to be box-dependent.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

On my STB it is Menu => Settings => Systems => Television => Auto Tune to HD channels and select ON.

0 Likes
fossil1
Contributor - Level 1

@mi3sons1,

The features, like the Autotune, are software dependent and different equipement had differnt processors that required different software.

So for now, it would seem only the MOTO boxes with IMG 1.9 have that feature - along with lots of other features, including:

a) tougher to read then the IMG 1.9 black/red scheme.

b) missing the "reminder" feature.

c) missing the automatic notice that a selection joined "in-progress" is available OnDemand.

d) left arrow in the guide to go to VOD isn't available.

e) The "info" button used to have 3 stages: info bar, short info page, full info page.  Now there are only two, the full info is gone.

f) Extended "CAST" info is unavailable.

g) DVR "undelete"

h) "Last" will not return to a DVR recording

0 Likes
mi3sons1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, what do you know?  You're right - that setting is available on my STB as well.  It solves part of the problem, but the larger issue still exists.  You have 2 separate ranges of channels.  If you are surfing through channels, you have to go back and forth between ranges.  I guess it's better than nothing, but one range of channels would make it easier.

Thanks for the info.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

If you press Guide then the Options button you can select HD channels only if that is how you would like to view them.

0 Likes