HD Movies Video on Demand, no surround sound?
Punkrulz

Hey guys,

This issue has become a huge nuisance for me and now I'm deciding to follow up on it. Verizon support has been of little help regarding this issue. For whatever reason, whenever I go to Video On Demand, and decide to watch a newly released movie that's HD... I don't get 5.1 surround sound. I only get the front 3 speakers on my surround sound system.

I know that 5.1 audio is working. I can go to ANY HD channel and get 5.1 surround sound. I can also go to Video On Demand, and say go to Premier Channels and watch True Blood (HD) on HBO On Demand, and still get 5.1 surround sound. However, when I purchased HD versions of both Repo Men as well as the new Robin Hood, I'm only getting 3.1. Can someone please explain to me if this is normal?

0 Likes
Re: HD Movies Video on Demand, no surround sound?
Punkrulz

Anyone have any input regarding this? I would love to get a definitive answer if Video on Demand movies in HD are supposed to be 5.1 surround sound.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
not all of the HD movies in VOD are 5.1 it depends on the way the broadcaster sends the asset to verizon. CBS tends to have a lot of 5.1 so try checking that VOD folder and see if any of them give you 5.1 I'll hunt around and see if I can find one that is 5.1 you may have moved on by now, but I'll check.
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
oh, actually I didn't notice that you said you were able to get true blood hd on 5.1 so yes that helps to answer your question, unfortunately not every hd vod gets 5.1 and that is dependant on the broadcaster and the asset that they send verizon. i
0 Likes
Punkrulz

Hubris,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, my issue isn't with the individual channel / broadcasts and whether they're in HD or not. So far it appears that 99% of the on-demand content I watch (HD) is 5.1 surround sound. My issue is the movies, the new releases that Verizon is presenting with on demand. NONE of those in HD have 5.1 surround sound.

Can you confirm if the movies are going to be 5.1 surround sound? Again I'm referring to the ones that Verizon presents that typically cost $5.99/movie for 24 or 48 hours.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

There are a lot of assets delivered in 5.1   but not all, so its kinda pot luck.  I'd say that 60-75% of them should be in 5.1

it depends on how the asset is sent to Verizon from the provider.  There is not a 100% of them are 5.1 answer for the VOD or any HD broadcast for that matter, but it shouldn't be frequent that you find it in 3.1 

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

This and the fact that most pay movies are not deliverd in OAR (origianl aspect ratio) is why I have yet to pay for a movie in the nearly 4 years I have had FiOS TV service.  It would be nice if the description included information as to the aspect ratio and the audio encoding.

If anyone form Verizon sees this, please take note (and yes I know these are peer-to-peer boards, but there are VZ lurkers) - it might just get me to spend more money.

0 Likes
Punkrulz

Ok, let me ask it this way.

Robin Hood (the one with Russell Crowe, 2010) was released as a Verizon Video On Demand movie. You purchase the HD version.

If you purchase this, will you have 5.1 surround sound?

0 Likes
Punkrulz

Anyone?

0 Likes
schmoo78

I recently switched from DirecTV to Fios this week.  Have definitely noticed a difference right away

I hook up my HD DVR to my Onkyo receiver via fiber optic.  Pick the Surround option under Audio settings.  My Onkyo has a Pure Audio passthrough option, and when I run the audio, it only comes through in stereo at best.  Even watched programs on CBS 5.1, HBO 5.1 programs (was searching for them) but only getting stereo.  The subwoofer was definitely not pumping, no indicator light when watching Terminator Salvation on demand.  Had to switch my receiver to Dolby Surround II which is basically audio processing the Veriozon audio to a "fake 5.1"

Seems like Verizon is jipping us on this one.  Do any tech supporters monitor this forum?  Or are we just yelling out into the wind?

0 Likes