HD programing availability for MSG sports broadcasts
granpacheapshot

What is the latest update as to availabilty of HD broadcasts of MSG originated sports programing on the FIOS package?

I have seen through Googled searches that Verizon had petitioned the FCC over MSG 's blocking them from this HD programing for FIOS programing over a year ago, that the FCC had ordered MSG to comply, that MSG has been filing appeals ever since. To make matters worse the SD broadcast quality provided by MSG is terrible when compared to the other SD broadcasts.

The primary reason for my  getting the FIOS product was to be able to see HD sports broadcasts. What has Verizon done as of late to act on behalf of it's customer base on this issue?

0 Likes
Re: HD programing availability for MSG sports broadcasts
MercerNick65
Contributor - Level 1

Your beef is with the Dolan Family not Verizon.  They will fight tooth and nail to stop Verizon from getting it. It's their last gasp. The whole thing about seeing all the HD games of all you New York teams ... they're not going give that up easily.

0 Likes
Re: HD programing availability for MSG sports broadcasts
Greg26001
Contributor - Level 2

No update, and frankly don't expect one.  Right now it's up to the FCC to act.

0 Likes
Re: HD programming availability for MSG sports broadcasts
Bwayblue420
Enthusiast - Level 3

On November 18, 2010 the FCC  ruled in Verizon's favor and Cablevision has appealed the decision to the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. Final briefs are not due until December 21, 2010.

See Cabelvision Systems Corporation v. Federal Communications Commission and United States of America (Case: 10-1062).

Let's hope this will be resolved shortly into the New Year. Having moved from a Comcast town in NJ to a Cablevision town in NJ, I decided to go with FIOS despite the fact that I would lose the Rangers in HD. It was a matter of principle for me, and I could not bring myself to give Dolan another dime over and above my Ranger tickets.   

0 Likes
Sabres1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm no legal expert but I think I can see the next step in this process.  From scanning the information on the case, it looks like Cablevision is still challenging the terrestrial loophole which they will lose.  However, upon losing this case, they can still challenge whether providing HD broadcasts on MSG is a competitive advantage because each case must be determined individually.  Sounds like another round of litigation at least and many more months.

0 Likes
NYSports

Thanks for the info.  Cablevision is the freakin' devil.  I want to watch the Knicks now that they are good again. 

0 Likes