How do you connect the Fios One wireless set top box to a WiFi Extender?
Bruce210
Enthusiast - Level 1

I called Verizon and I was told to turn off the set top box and turn it back on.  However, it automatically connects to the VZ Fios One router.  I need to connect to an extender to get a better signal where I want the TV.  Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do you connect the Fios One wireless set top box to a WiFi Extender?
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Bruce2 wrote:

I called Verizon and I was told to turn off the set top box and turn it back on.  However, it automatically connects to the VZ Fios One router.  I need to connect to an extender to get a better signal where I want the TV.  Thanks.

The best way to do it is connect the extender to the mini with an ethernet cable. The Extender gives you the range you want from the main router, but when connected with ethernet to the mini it will give you a lot less problems.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

As I understand it, the main STB (the VMS) needs a coaxial cable connection. Remotes can connect with Wi-Fi, Ethernet or coaxial. When using Wi-Fi, IoT may need to be enabled (but I'll defer to others who would know for sure).

Bruce210
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you.  The main STB is connected via cable.  How would I enable Iot?

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Before activating IoT, I would hold for one of the Internet CLs to chime in. (This all assumes that the extender is a Verizon unit...say the 3200 for example).

One other thought, is it possible that the STB is seeing a stronger signal from the router than from the extender?

To activate IoT:

Select "Wi-Fi" on the left menu
Select IoT Network
Click on the On/Off slider on the right side of the screen.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Bruce2 wrote:

The best way to do it is connect the extender to the mini with an ethernet cable. The Extender gives you the range you want from the main router, but when connected with ethernet to the mini it will give you a lot less problems.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. Please feel free to open a new thread for further discussion. Thank you.

0 Likes