How to create a network bridge to use WD TV LIVE PLUS with Fios
terminator22

I have an ActionTec MI424-WR and want to set up my recently purchased WD TV LIVE PLUS media player in my living room.

I am thinking of buying the DLink DIR-615 Wireless N Router or the Western Digital approved DLink Wireless 150 USB Adapter.

How difficult is it to set up a wireless bridge?

and as far as my 2 dekstop PC's which are hardwired via Cat5 to my ActionTec router can I leave them as is for internet access.

Thank you.

Jason

0 Likes
Re: How to create a network bridge to use WD TV LIVE PLUS with Fios
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Which hardware revision of the Actiontec do you have? 

If you have the rev. F, it is not 802.11n-2009 compliant, so you won't get full 802.11n speeds.  Earlier Actiontec routers do not support 802.11n at all.  Actiontec routers also do not support wireless bridging (router-to-router).

Do you also have FIOS-TV?  If so and you get the D-Link DIR-615, you will still need the Actiontec to function as a MOCA bridge for the VZ STBs.  You can either place the D-Link behind the Actiontec, or have your WAN connection switched to cat5 and place the Actiontec behind the D-Link.  See this FAQ:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#16077

For streaming media, I prefer using MOCA networking.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#15984

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I just purchased this wireless bridge to replace only the wireless access point in the Actiontec. It can also act as a bridge to the Actiontec, but as mentioned most existing Actiontec routers do not support 802.11n.

$74 at NewEgg.com I paid $95 but needed it right away. If you want to turn off the wireless on the Actiontec, and have money to burn, one to replace the AP and another for the bridge. So far I have been please with it, but it is not a router. If you use it as a bridge you would need to plug a switch into it to gain more than one port at the remote location.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833164036

Hi-Gain™ Wireless-300N Access Point/Bridge
HWABN1
It would be cheaper probably for you to buy the USB wireless adapter unless you want to do other things.
0 Likes
terminator22

I have the MI424-WR rev. E.

I was looking online today and am also now considering trying the Netgear Powerline AV 200 Adapter network product which uses your existing electrical system to extend your network.

I have 1 1/2yr old twins that get into everthing so I want the least amount of wires and boxes added to my entertainment stand/system.  The outlets in the room are behind the stand so it would either be the Powerline Adapter or just go with an approved Wireless adapter which my local Micro Center sells.

Thinking it would be easier, less expensive and complicated to just purchase an approved wireless adapter for this one device.

I do have a Cisco/Linksys Wireless-G USB adapter for my laptop but does not work with the WD media player.

Thanks for replying.

Jason

0 Likes
terminator22

To answer the other part of your post.

I do not have Fios TV, only internet and phone.

0 Likes