How to disable DHCP on router?
BulletRouge
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am basically using my own router to run my network.

I still want my FiOS TVs to be able to access the internet, but I would like to avoid running double NAT (one router connected to another).

Right now I am running like:

ONT -> (WAN) My Router (LAN) -> (WAN) Quantum Gateway

What I want to do is:

ONT -> (WAN) My Router) (LAN) -> (LAN) Quantum Gateway

This was I only have one network, one DHCP server. But how exactly do I disable that?

0 Likes
Re: How to disable DHCP on router?
jonjones1
Legend

Very simple. You unplug the Fios router. You get a splitter and buy a MOCA adapter.

this way just using your own router.

follow steps here.

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you log into the router go to My Network > Network Connections > Network Home/Office > Settings. 

Once there change the IP from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.x so it's not conflicting with Google wifi. In the same settings area there is also a drop down for DHCP Server. Set that to disable and scroll down and apply. 

You could also get a MoCA adapter like other poster said. But hold on to the G1100 because if you ever need a new box it probably won't activate in G1100 isn't primary. 

0 Likes
BulletRouge
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh that's a good idea, I assume everything on the set top boxes works then (VOD, guide, etc)?

Also, does that basically put the set top boxes on the same network as the rest of your network? I've noticed that if you run the FiOS mobile at home, and it can't see your boxes on the same network it basically thinks you are remote and doesn't give you access to stuff (like DVR content).

Have you tried that?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes that will put STBs on you personal router's network.

I have the older VMS 1100 and I use a Ubiquiti Edge router which connects to a switch that has all my LAN devices connected. On the switch I have a WCB3000N MoCA adapter connected to create my MoCA network. My IMG/VOD and both apps work and I can also view DVR content with no issues.

0 Likes
CGalex

If I disable DHCP on Verizon router and connect a Ethernet from my routers LAN port to either a LAN or WAN port on Verizon  router will it work as an extension of my router that will be now be DHCP enabled? And specifically give the moca connection what it needs to feed internet to/from my house coax where STB is connected?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes. It will basically act as a MoCA adapter and your personal router will hand out IPs to the STBs. 

0 Likes