How to turn off Fios TV One receiver?
shomovielove
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I turn off the power on my remote, it shuts my TV off but the TV One receiver seems to stay on with a yellowish light on. I read somewhere that it goes in standby mode and if that's the case, it causes my box to get warm. How can I turn off the receiver completely like the old ones used to??

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to turn off Fios TV One receiver?
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@shomovielove wrote:

So does it just go into "Standby" mode when the TV is off and is it normal for the unit to be warm when in "standby" mode? I'm just worried since it never turns off and it remains warm that it might end up causing am issue to the unit

Have you tried using the power switch on top of the box? It DOES remain in standby, if you turn on your TV you'll see a Fios splash screen, letting you know it is officially off. It IS possible that with a combination of settings and CEC it may NOT be shutting off when your TV shuts off.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

That is how the Arris STB works. The LED remains on continuously (albeit dimmed in standby) and the units never fully turn off.

The only way to fully turn it off would be to physically unplug it.

The STB updates overnight, mostly between 2:00 to 3:00. The mini units have a tendency to have the LED glow brightly after updating, which gives the appearance that the box is turned on (which it isn't).

shomovielove
Enthusiast - Level 2

So does it just go into "Standby" mode when the TV is off and is it normal for the unit to be warm when in "standby" mode? I'm just worried since it never turns off and it remains warm that it might end up causing am issue to the unit

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Nope. It is normal. If my memory is correct, the old Motorola STBs also remained warm to the touch when turned off. šŸ¤”

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@shomovielove wrote:

Have you tried using the power switch on top of the box? It DOES remain in standby, if you turn on your TV you'll see a Fios splash screen, letting you know it is officially off. It IS possible that with a combination of settings and CEC it may NOT be shutting off when your TV shuts off.

shomovielove
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry but I am not technically smart on these things but what kind of settings and/or CEC might not be shutting off my unit? How can I check? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I just want to be able to turn my unit off as well when I press the power button on the remote as this only turns my TV off. If this is not an option at all, then nothing I can do but just odd that the unit can't be turned off and always stay in standby mode.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you using the remote control that came with the TV or the one that came with the STB to turn things off? šŸ¤” 

The remote that came with the STB should turn it off consistently. 

shomovielove
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am using the remote that came with the TV One unit which now has just 1 power button. The old remote had power buttons for the TV and STB but not on the TV One remote

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@shomovielove wrote:

I am using the remote that came with the TV One unit which now has just 1 power button. The old remote had power buttons for the TV and STB but not on the TV One remote

Like I said, if you MANUALLY turn on your TV, you should see a Fios splash screen if the Fios box turned off with the remote. If it shows programming, the remote didn't turn the box off. CEC is the way two devices communicate to each other over the HDMI connection. Sometimes the TV could switch the box or a receiver on or off when getting a signal from the remote. The Fios box will stay warm, as it never stops using power, but never hot. On the mini you have a choice of what appears when you turn the box off: Main Menu > Settings > System > FiOS TV One Mini Settings>Screensaver Posters.