Is The Slowness the DVR or the Remote?
susanje1119
Enthusiast - Level 2

I mainly watch DVR'd shows.  The inability of the remote to stop when I'm fast forwarding or rewinding, pause, or even get into and out of recording a new show drives me up a wall.  I currently have 3 remotes and will go from one to the other to the other to try to stop a show, exit when I've programmed a new one,  I constantly change the batteries when it's not the batteries.  It just drives me absolutely crazy. 

A friend suggested getting a universal remote but I'm wondering if it's the DVR and not the remote.   I'm almost ready to get rid of FIOS due to this. 

When they change the DVR menu in a way that totally sucks but the remote and/or DVR is still buggy, it makes me crazy. I  don't think they have their priorities straight at all. 

Re: Is The Slowness the DVR or the Remote?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What model DVR do you have?

May not be either.
Could be obstruction of signal.

0 Likes
CrankyOldGuy
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a friend who had the same problem. This is what worked for her.

Using the remote:

Press "Menu"

Select "Settings"

Select "Notifications"

Disable or turn off the following:

Popup Alerts

Recommendations

Promotions

Guide Banners.

If that works, you can reenable the ones you can't live without one at a time.

0 Likes
fossil1
Contributor - Level 1

One remote might have a problem; 3 remotes - unlikely.

Quantum service is notoriously slow in responding to the remote. 

From Vz' Quantum FAQ:

http://www.verizon.com/Support/Residential/Tv/FiosTv/General+Support/Top+Questions/QuestionsOne/1215...

44. Why are my channels changing slowly on my Media Client?

When you watch live TV through the Media Client, there is a very slight delay (up to 3 seconds) for setup and buffering. This delay is normal, but if you are experiencing a delay of more than 3 seconds try rebooting the Media Client. To reboot the Media Client, press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.

3 seconds is NOT a slight delay.  it is an agonizing eternity.

That can be modified to ALL interactions, not just changing channels.  

Vz Quantum is s-l-o-w.  

Sometimes a reboot  helps for a short while, especailly a "cold reboot".

Some folks blame the motorola/arris hardware.

Some folks blame the software.

I think the blame lies with Verizon for not working as hard as they could to make it better.

0 Likes
Savage4

I wonder if anyone at Verizon reads these posts. ??

So dissapointed with our, "Upgrade," to Quantum. The media server and clients both respond very slowly unlike the old Motorola equipment. The media server is especially bad. Delays on requests to the guide or recording. Slow rewind and fast forward, and frequently it simply locks up and requires re-booting it. Quantum is a downgrade.

Can I have the old Motorola equipment back, please?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is mainly a peer to peer support forum.

There have been some improvements in response with the latest software upgrade.

But they stopped before everyone was finished due to some fielding issues.

What version software are you running?

0 Likes
dsbolding
Enthusiast - Level 1

I can see the box getting the command, it's got to be the box that is slow in response.  It is very frustrating when going forward or reverse.  I am calling tomororw.  DirecTV is not looking bad.

0 Likes
LucyMuir

I'm having the same problem.  I did just purchase a universal remote.  The fast forward, skip, up and down buttons, etc. do not work on that either.  I have two Verizon remotes, all with new batteries, and now this new one that I paid $80 for, and they are all useless.  The odds that three remotes do not work are slim.  I've tried using the self diagnostic tools on the DVR and they will not work.  Stayed on "loading" for over a half an hour then went back to the TV.  Getting very frustrated.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of things:

1) Verizon just came out with a software update (depending on where you live it may have just come out this am) that helps with the slowness issue.

2) Depending on the placement of your box vs tv, sometimes the TV can itnerefere with the signal.

Try reporitioning the box vs tv to see if you get better performance.

0 Likes
CrankyOldGuy
Enthusiast - Level 3

On the theory that the dvr is too busy with other things to respond promptly to the remote, I recommended to a friend who was having the slow remote problem to disable some of the extraneous advertising that the box might be busy with since the only difference between her settings and mine was I had disabled most of the notifications. And I was not having the problem and it was driving her nuts. She tried disabling her notifications and her problem went away and hasn't returned. Neither of us have the Quantum DVR.

0 Likes