Is there a problem to my external HD if I get a new DVR?
kc5388

I currently have a multi-room DVR connecting to an external HD. I have my favorite shows storing in my external HD. I would like to switch multi-room DVR to normal DVR since no longer need the multi-room feature. Can the new DRV still be able to detects/reads the shows which were recorded by the old DRV from the external HD?

0 Likes
Re: Is there a problem to my external HD if I get a new DVR?
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@kc5388 wrote:

I currently have a multi-room DVR connecting to an external HD. I have my favorite shows storing in my external HD. I would like to switch multi-room DVR to normal DVR since no longer need the multi-room feature. Can the new DRV still be able to detects/reads the shows which were recorded by the old DRV from the external HD?

No.  Take at look at the FAQ on this subject elsewhere on this forum.  The external storage device is coupled to a specific DVR, and changing the DVR means that the external drive will be re-formatted when it is plugged into another unit.  Re-formatting necessarily means that all data will be lost.  You could make copies of the material prior to fitting the new DVR.  That is also covered elsewhere in the forums.

0 Likes
Re: Is there a problem to my external HD if I get a new DVR?
marc35655
Contributor - Level 1

The multi-room is a flag setting. You tell them to turn off the multi-room flag on your DVR and keep the same STB....

Currently my DVR is not set to Multi-room. If i want multi-room i just have to order it and my existing DVR will have the flag turned on and start working in multi-room mode.

Only time you'd have to switch boxes is upgrading to multi-room on an older DVR that can't perform well enough.