Is there such a thing as a TV router?
Billy8888

When my system was initially set up, I had the Set-Top Box in my rec. room (connected to coaxial wall jack) and used an "Angletech" RF device to slave a second TV in our kitchen to it.  There was no need to buy and use a second STB, and the second TV simply gave us the option of watching the same program in our kitchen while avoiding unsightly HDMI cables.

Our old kitchen TV has gone south and the Angletech is no longer made.  I'd like to replicate the setup I previously used.  My new Samsung has wifi and two HDMI inputs.  Is there a TV router (as opposed to my FIOS internet router) that can be used to link my Rec room TV (or its connected STB) to our new TV wirelessly?

If so, what is the wireless device called.  I assume it would require a transmitting kind of "router", but am unsure if the new TV needs a pairing receiver, or if its existing wifi capabilities could be used.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is there such a thing as a TV router?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Google for wireless HDMI.

There are devices that can transmit HDMI signals wirelessly.

You would either need to get an HDMI splitter to have both TVs run HDMI or run one via component and the other HDMI.

Have you checked to see if your TV is one of the few that supports the FIOS app?

0 Likes
Billy8888

Thanks for calling the "wireless HDMI" keywords to my attention for a google search.

I think I understand your thoughts on using a splitter, but that would seem (?) to then need for me to run an HDMI cable across a room to the second TV -- which I would prefer not to do.  

Your alternative of running one by HDMI and the 2nd TV by component is not clear to me.  What kind of component?  Such as a HDMI RF receiver?

The second TV does not support FIOS to my knowledge.  It is a 40" Samsung with built in wi-fi.  I hope to find a HDMI receiver that will receive HDTV sent from either my 1st TV or from its attached set-top box.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

My comment on splitter was that if you want HDMI for both TVs, you will need to put a splitter on the output of your STB. One leg would go to 1st TV. The other would go to wireless device that would then feed 2nd TV.

Component refers to component output. It takes five cables. Three (1 for each color) and two for sound.

That would be good for 1st TV (quality is the same as HDMI) if it has component inputs. Then can use HDMI output for wirless to 2nd TV.

I would go in to APPs to see if TV supports FIOS APP. You mention it is a new Samsung so it might which would allow you to watch a fair number of channels.

Good Luck.

0 Likes