Issue with FIOS app DVR playback when connected to Google WiFi
SteveMarkham

I recently got google WiFi. I have the google WiFi puck connected to the FIOS router and disabled the FIOS wifi. When I’m connected to the google WiFi on my iPhone or iPad, the DVR playback function on the FIOS app does not work because it says the main DVR box is offline.  HOWEVER, it DOES know somehow that I’m on my home network because it lets me stream all my channels live. So obviously it can communicate with the DVR somehow.. no?  Also I can see the recorded programs list.. so that also tells me it can communicate with the DVR.  It’s just when you go to play a show does it not work. Another strange thing is the DVR playback works perfectly fine when I’m away from home. Anyone have any thoughts on this?  

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Issue with FIOS app DVR playback when connected to Google WiFi
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is your WiFi network on the same subnet as DVR?

Most probably not. And that would cause the problem.

SteveMarkham

You’re right it isn’t. But the app knows somehow that it’s on the home network because I can stream all live channels, and I can view the DVR recorded list.. which to me indicates it can communicate with the DVR even though it’s on a different subnet. Only the DVR playback doesn’t work. So I’m just wondering why that is. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

A double nat situation can cause strange issues.

Its possible some access is going to the Internet and then back but others are trying to go direct.

Knowing you are at home can be based on public ip. But then trying to connect to DVR locally, it may not work.
Can you try enabling wifi on FIOS router, connect to it and see if DVR playback works?

SteveMarkham

Yes I tried that already and it does work.  But I was hoping to find a solution that would enable it to work while on the google wifi network.  Anything that can be done?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you turn google wifi into an access point instead so that all wifi devices and STBs are on the same subnet?

SteveMarkham

Not sure what you mean.  How exactly would I do that?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@SteveMarkham wrote:

Yes I tried that already and it does work.  But I was hoping to find a solution that would enable it to work while on the google wifi network.  Anything that can be done?

You can put the Google Wifi in bridge mode but the site say only if you have one puck...
https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6240987?hl=en
With the Google in bridge mode that will eliminate the double nat.

SteveMarkham

Could the Verizon router be put in bridge mode instead of the Google puck?  Would that work?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes.

Google model and bridge mode for details.

It will require that your Internet be delivered via ethernet (if it isn't already).