LG Magic Remote and Fios Cisco STB
DishPigeon

I just hooked up a brand-new LG OLED 55B7A TV to my Fios box.  Yes, I wish the Fios signal were 4K, but that's another day's issue.  The problem I'm having is that I can't get the LG Magic Remote to pair with my Fios set top box (a Cisco CHS 335HDC P2_.  When I select Cisco in the remote's configuration screen, I get a message reading "Remote information has not been successfully downloaded. Do you want to retry?" Regardless of whether I choose yes or no, none of the configuration options is able to connect with the box.  Has anyone faced this issue?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: LG Magic Remote and Fios Cisco STB
Bigbwash
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had exact same issue.  Started trying other manufacturer names on screen an it worked.   My Motorola box works by picking ADB.    Crazy but works like a charm.    Hop you get your problem fixed.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

I will tell you that I don’t subscribe to Fios tv. Now I have had in the past used cable tv and I have found it a iffy situation with trying to set up extraneous remotes to operate the set top boxes. I have rarely gotten my mother in laws cable boxes to accept her tv’s remote for operation. However I have had great luck getting the set top box remote to operate her tv. So you may want to go at it in reverse.

0 Likes
JeffandJeff
Enthusiast - Level 2

Having the exact same problem with a 2018 65B8. I’ve tried all four remote types, but none work. 

I’m able to access the TV guide and channel listing directly from the Magic Remote, so there obviously is some form of connection, but I can’t execute any commands (change a channel, for example).

Any solutions out there?

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unfortunately you are in one of those grey areas.

Have you searched LG forums?

It could be either vendor that has the issue.

JeffandJeff
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks--I think you may be right and will pursue with LG.  This was literally the only post on the internet discussing the problem we're having, so thought I'd start here.

Bigbwash
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just bought new LG and bought separately LG Magic remote.   Having same problem you described with Motorola QIP 7100 2 STB.    In addition to the “unsuccessful download” message, the three example buttons do not display.     My Samsung DVD on another HDMI port allowed itself to be controlled flawlessly.    I am going to try other MFG types to see if they work but not optimistic.    Have you had any luck since this post?   Any insights appreciated.   

0 Likes
Bigbwash
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had exact same issue.  Started trying other manufacturer names on screen an it worked.   My Motorola box works by picking ADB.    Crazy but works like a charm.    Hop you get your problem fixed.  

0 Likes
JeffandJeff
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you...I’ll have to try the same technique. Honestly, I gave up for the time being and moved on with life. LG’s official response was basically “We’re sorry you’re having problems. Every box is a little different, so good luck.”

🙄

0 Likes
Bigbwash
Enthusiast - Level 2

I hear you about moving on.   Are you satisfied with the LG besides the Magic Remote?     We are just getting started with ours.  55UK6500, purchased at Costco.  

0 Likes
JeffandJeff
Enthusiast - Level 2

We have been.  We got the OLED65BPUA from Best Buy about a month and a half ago.  Zero performance issues, picture is great, and the setup went fast.  Even in light of the comments I'm about to give, we're extremely happy with the TV and feel like we bought a device we'll be happy with for the next 10+ years.

Only two issues:

1. The Magic Remote doesn't connect with our STB or our AppleTV, which means we have (still) have to keep three remotes on the table at all times.  Incidentally, the "fix" for the AppleTV is the same as the "fix" you recommended: Play around with every setting until eventually magically it works.  One person's success does not predict your own success using the exact same configuration.

2.  LG and Samsung don't play well with each other (not a surprise), which means we can't connect our TV to our smart hub (a Samsung SmartThings).

Beyond that--the TV has more apps on it than I know what to do with, and as a result, don't use.  We use AppleTV for all our streaming, so having the apps native on the TV is redundant (and less functional than AppleTV).

0 Likes