Lip Sync Problem AFTER LG Firmware Update on some HD Channels
ClarksonCote

I have an LG HDTV, model number 47LH90, and I'm experiencing lip sync issues even after they gave me a firmware update to solve the problem.

I've noticed the problem appears to be most prevalent on the History HD channel.  Most other channels seem fine now following the firmware update from LG.  Any reason why this is  happening?  I have a couple thoughts to add for Verizon personnel:

1) The Motorola STB/DVR I have from Verizon let's me choose my output as 720p, 1080i, etc.  It would be nice if it would also allow a pass-through option to just be whatever input the feed is.  For example, sometimes I wonder if this issue is because the DVR is trying to take 1080i input to the STB and convert it to 720p output to the TV, which somehow changes data lengths and results in some lip sync issue.

2) I have a PlayStation3 that I bought to use mainly as a Blu-Ray player.  The PlayStation Audio/Video to my TV using the HDMI cable works great, with no lip sync on Blu Rays, Hulu, games, etc.  I know this lip sync is sometimes more prevalent on LG TV's, but it would seem to me that if PlayStation's can produce lip sync-free content, surely FIOS can too.  Perhaps they could upgrade their hardware and use the latest standards.

3) I'm using the same make/quality/length HDMI cables on my PlayStation3 and STB, HDMI 1.3a.

I would love to see some updates that address this issue as soon as possible. 

0 Likes
Re: Lip Sync Problem AFTER LG Firmware Update on some HD Channels
ClarksonCote

This problem still seems apparent on multiple HD channels, unless being played back from the DVR.  Does anyone else have insight into this?  I'm piecing together some parts of the puzzle, but am still bothered that this problem is evident with Verizon's STB/DVR

0 Likes
1CoolMom

We frequently have a similar/same problem but do not have a HDTV or programming. We have a  QIP6416-2 hooked up to a 12 year old Sony large screen TV (we won't buy a HDTV until Verizon gets a better, higher capacity DVR or until out contract is up and we can move on).  Often when we are watching a taped show (we tape almost everything) the sound and picture will get out of sync.  Think bad Japanese movie!  It makes me crazy as I read lips but my husband, although bothered, doesn't want to kill the DVR after a few minutes. We have found, by trial and error, that if we exit the show and then resume play the sound and picture return to normal. It also happens when we rewind on a currently playing show.  It happens almost every time I rewind a long ways (I do this when I watch 2 shows at once).  It is harder to get back in sync when this happens but it sometimes works if I watch and jump forward to be close to live and then jump between shows and only have to rewind a short ways.  I used to routinely watch 2 shows at once but now the aggravation factor makes me either tape everything or just not watch some shows I like.  I posted to let you know that it may not be the LG update and may be the DVR.  Try out my tricks when it happens, and if they work, I would blame the DVR.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I havent had this problem in quite a while but I used to have a lip sync problem on live tv on my dvr. What I did to fix is was when I see a lip sync issue, I would pause the tv for 2-3 seconds, then resume play 3 seconds behind the program, problem was then gone. It almost acted as if the box was trying to overrun the buffer in the dvr. It was a small nusicence to keep pausing the programs constantly but it became habit and fixed the issue. I havent had the issue in a LONG time but it seemed to me to be a buffer problem and once I was running on the buffer the problem went away. you may want to give that a shot.

0 Likes
ClarksonCote

@1CoolMom wrote:

We frequently have a similar/same problem but do not have a HDTV or programming. We have a  QIP6416-2 hooked up to a 12 year old Sony large screen TV (we won't buy a HDTV until Verizon gets a better, higher capacity DVR or until out contract is up and we can move on).  Often when we are watching a taped show (we tape almost everything) the sound and picture will get out of sync.  Think bad Japanese movie!  It makes me crazy as I read lips but my husband, although bothered, doesn't want to kill the DVR after a few minutes. We have found, by trial and error, that if we exit the show and then resume play the sound and picture return to normal. It also happens when we rewind on a currently playing show.  It happens almost every time I rewind a long ways (I do this when I watch 2 shows at once).  It is harder to get back in sync when this happens but it sometimes works if I watch and jump forward to be close to live and then jump between shows and only have to rewind a short ways.  I used to routinely watch 2 shows at once but now the aggravation factor makes me either tape everything or just not watch some shows I like.  I posted to let you know that it may not be the LG update and may be the DVR.  Try out my tricks when it happens, and if they work, I would blame the DVR.

Thanks for the suggestion.  My problem actually seems to go away when the show is recorded versus live, at least sometimes, but not always.  Although, I've found that stopping playback, then resuming, or similar behavior can help the problem as well.  I just want my TV to work without having to throw salt over my shoulder. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
ClarksonCote

@spacedebris wrote:

I havent had this problem in quite a while but I used to have a lip sync problem on live tv on my dvr. What I did to fix is was when I see a lip sync issue, I would pause the tv for 2-3 seconds, then resume play 3 seconds behind the program, problem was then gone. It almost acted as if the box was trying to overrun the buffer in the dvr. It was a small nusicence to keep pausing the programs constantly but it became habit and fixed the issue. I havent had the issue in a LONG time but it seemed to me to be a buffer problem and once I was running on the buffer the problem went away. you may want to give that a shot.

This is what I've done to fix the problem sometimes, but at times it's still apparent.  It's very frustrating, in an otherwise flawless FiOS experience... but sound and video being synchronized properly is a pretty big must-have on my list!

0 Likes
Diego10901
Enthusiast - Level 3

What I found, was that it was the DVR that was the issue. To  resolve the issue all I had to do is hit the fast forward button and the video "caught up" to the audio. I only experienced this issue when viewing live TV (through the DVR)  

Hopefully this helps.   

0 Likes