Local TV Channels with Internet Plan Only
bw1965
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

I've read previous messages about being able to view local channels (clear/unencrypted) without the need of a STB. My question is would I be able to view just local channels if I connected a line from coax direct to my TV (equipped with a QAM tuner) AND if I was only an internet plan subscriber -- and not subscribing to any TV plan under FiOS.

I can do this today with Time Warner Cable, subscribing for internet only and directly connecting the coax to my TV, I receive local unencrypted broadcasts.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Local TV Channels with Internet Plan Only
PJL
Master - Level 3

@bw1965 wrote:

Hi PJL,

Thanks for the reply. Just did some tinkering with custom bundle setup on Verizon's site, it turns out that adding the Local TV plan (15 channels) is free at the moment for me - great news. So basically, if that's all I need and have no need for VOD/guides/etc. I also don't need to add any set top boxes -- do you know if this is true?

Basically it would be just subscribing to the internet along with 15 local channels that I'd have to scroll through manually with my remote as if I was receiving them over the air. Normally I would just go for OTA broadcasts, but reception in my area is very poor so this is a good alternative for me.

I wasn't aware of what the Local TV plan consists.  It does not show up on MyVerizon as an option for me.  A web search, however, actually took me to a web page that says for me the Local TV plan for my area consists of 78 channels, 18 of which are HD which seems right since I live in the Los Angeles market and between OTA, PEGs, and a few national channels (like the area Weather Channel and WGN) we propbably have that many, and I was able to count 18 local HD channels in the local channel range (500-549). 

Refer to the last paragraph on my prior post concerning enctryption and your STB assumptions, including the need for a QAM tuner.

View solution in original post

PJL
Master - Level 3

@bw1965 wrote:

Hi,

I've read previous messages about being able to view local channels (clear/unencrypted) without the need of a STB. My question is would I be able to view just local channels if I connected a line from coax direct to my TV (equipped with a QAM tuner) AND if I was only an internet plan subscriber -- and not subscribing to any TV plan under FiOS.

I can do this today with Time Warner Cable, subscribing for internet only and directly connecting the coax to my TV, I receive local unencrypted broadcasts.

Thanks!

If you do not subscribe to a FiOS TV package you will not be able to receive any TV.  FiOS uses three wavelengths of light (1310 nm voice/data transmit, 1490 nm voice/data receive and 1550 nm video receive) to deliver their signals over fiber so if you don't have TV service you don't get anything on the video light.  If you subscribe to the lowest-tier TV choice you will be able to view unencrypted channels using a QAM tuner without an STB.  TWC doesn't use this scheme (they don't use fiber to the premise, FTTP)  but transmits all services on QAM channels over copper to the premise, which is why you see unencrypted TV even though you're not paying for it.

Nothing is for free.  Be aware that the FCC is now allowing all cable companies to encrypt all channels so your ability to see channels without paying for TV service may vanish from TWC in the future.  Verzion does not encrypt local channels (and a few others) at the present time either.

bw1965
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi PJL,

Thanks for the reply. Just did some tinkering with custom bundle setup on Verizon's site, it turns out that adding the Local TV plan (15 channels) is free at the moment for me - great news. So basically, if that's all I need and have no need for VOD/guides/etc. I also don't need to add any set top boxes -- do you know if this is true?

Basically it would be just subscribing to the internet along with 15 local channels that I'd have to scroll through manually with my remote as if I was receiving them over the air. Normally I would just go for OTA broadcasts, but reception in my area is very poor so this is a good alternative for me.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@bw1965 wrote:

Hi PJL,

I wasn't aware of what the Local TV plan consists.  It does not show up on MyVerizon as an option for me.  A web search, however, actually took me to a web page that says for me the Local TV plan for my area consists of 78 channels, 18 of which are HD which seems right since I live in the Los Angeles market and between OTA, PEGs, and a few national channels (like the area Weather Channel and WGN) we propbably have that many, and I was able to count 18 local HD channels in the local channel range (500-549). 

Refer to the last paragraph on my prior post concerning enctryption and your STB assumptions, including the need for a QAM tuner.

PjD805
Enthusiast - Level 2

@bw1965

Thanks for mentioning the local channel option - I wasn't aware of that. I have the first TV tier and I'm getting fed up with all the commercials/ads.  Also, I have the same ol'STB and they had the audacity to raised the rental fee.  The only option is to get rid of it.

I can remember back when customers paid for extended cable channels to be able to enjoy TV with less commercials. Now it's more about ads [read profit] and less about value.

re: charging for local channels; I'd bet that if they did start encrypting them, there would have to be some exceptions for those of us that can't receive OTA broadcast. If I recall the national security system, has to be receivable in some form by the general public. Sure many have cell phones, but I doubt they'll make any drastic changes anytime soon.

0 Likes