Looking to replace the Verizon DVR with a Tivo DVR
artm60

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for if I decided to get a Tivo HD DVR for my Verizon FIOS.  I am located in northern Virginia.  I am assuming I would need to get a couple cable cards from Verizon and then all I need to do is plug and play.  Any thoughts?

0 Likes
Re: Looking to replace the Verizon DVR with a Tivo DVR
prisaz
Legend

@artm60 wrote:

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for if I decided to get a Tivo HD DVR for my Verizon FIOS.  I am located in northern Virginia.  I am assuming I would need to get a couple cable cards from Verizon and then all I need to do is plug and play.  Any thoughts?

A Single M-Card is all that is required. You should also make sure you have an Ethernet cable from your router to the Tivo location. Or purchase the wireless adaptor. I prefer hardwired. I purchased one of the reconditioned Tivos for $199 and have been Very happy with it. You will need to schedule a cable card install. They will not mail them, or let you pick one up at their store. They do not charge for bringing a card out if you have everything ready. But if you ask them to do an install and extra work, you should be ready to pay for the call and the work. Such as running new coax and not just a card delivery.

I am on the other side of the river. I have other boxes in the house that I check for messages once and a while. If you have no Verizon boxes, you will need to get notified of changes by checking the web. Tivo shows Tivo messages but not Verizons.

If you order the Tivo from Tivo it will come activated, and all you will need is to set it up for the service you are connecting it to. Tivo activates the account when you order the box. Price of box and first month. I didn't like that because if it takes a week to get the box and then a week to get the card. You have paid Tivo for two weeks of service you didn't get. But it's still good.

artm60

Thanks for the input.  I don't have an ethernet cable run to the TV, so I'll probably go with the wireless card for simplicity at this time.  I will be keeping a couple other verizon STD boxes so I can get messages when they come in.  Sounds pretty simple.  I'll go an purchase the Tivo box first, then schedule with verizon to deliver the cable card.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@artm60 wrote:

Thanks for the input.  I don't have an ethernet cable run to the TV, so I'll probably go with the wireless card for simplicity at this time.  I will be keeping a couple other verizon STD boxes so I can get messages when they come in.  Sounds pretty simple.  I'll go an purchase the Tivo box first, then schedule with verizon to deliver the cable card.

Update:

I have noticed that Tivo does send messages for Verizon channel line up changes. Even for channels you do not subscribe to. This will keep you updated on channels subscriptions you may want to add.

0 Likes