Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
Loss of Local HD Channel - S. California
PjD805
Enthusiast

I've had an on-going issue with my Fios service. Every 2-3 months I'll lose one channel, typically it's channel 2 or 9. I've contacted tech support and have yet to get a straight answer as to why it's happening. And I'd like to check if anyone else has had the same problem?

I have 2 TV's one has a STB which works fine and another with a QAM tuner with no external box and has the issue. The only resolution is to re-program the tv which takes around an hour, [read tedious task]. Once re-programmed all the channels work fine.

I recently spoke with T/Support again and they more or less said, if you don't have a STB we can't help you. Really?! I figure they have a level of obligation to troubleshoot a problem even if it's basic broadcast. They said the issue may be with the local broadcaster and I should check with them[?!]. Broadcasters don't typically deal with residential customers. I seriously doubt a broadcaster would make a change every 2-3 month that would disrupt service. I hate to speculate, but if you consider VZ may be inducing the problem to encourage customers to rent stb's. They can make more $$ when customers are fed up with the issue! 

It seems my only recourse is to file a complaint with the FCC and see what they can do.

0 Likes
Re: Loss of Local HD Channel - S. California
beetlejuice2
Specialist

@PjD805 wrote:

I've had an on-going issue with my Fios service. Every 2-3 months I'll lose one channel, typically it's channel 2 or 9. I've contacted tech support and have yet to get a straight answer as to why it's happening. And I'd like to check if anyone else has had the same problem?

I have 2 TV's one has a STB which works fine and another with a QAM tuner with no external box and has the issue. The only resolution is to re-program the tv which takes around an hour, [read tedious task]. Once re-programmed all the channels work fine.

I recently spoke with T/Support again and they more or less said, if you don't have a STB we can't help you. Really?! I figure they have a level of obligation to troubleshoot a problem even if it's basic broadcast. They said the issue may be with the local broadcaster and I should check with them[?!]. Broadcasters don't typically deal with residential customers. I seriously doubt a broadcaster would make a change every 2-3 month that would disrupt service. I hate to speculate, but if you consider VZ may be inducing the problem to encourage customers to rent stb's. They can make more $$ when customers are fed up with the issue! 

It seems my only recourse is to file a complaint with the FCC and see what they can do.


Is the tuner Verizon's? If so they should still offer support. If not then they won't help and it's in the terms of service.

"We do not guarantee that the Service will work correctly if you use equipment to access the Service other than the Equipment  provided by Verizon, including but not limited to smartphones, tablets, other portable devices, gaming consoles and internet-ready equipment.  We have no responsibility for the operation or support, maintenance or repair of any equipment, software or services that you choose to use in connection with the Service or with the Equipment provided by us. We assume no responsibility for the operation of the Service if equipment other than the Equipment we provide to you is used to access the Service."

0 Likes
Re: Loss of Local HD Channel - S. California
PJL
Master

@PjD805 wrote:

...

I have 2 TV's one has a STB which works fine and another with a QAM tuner with no external box and has the issue. The only resolution is to re-program the tv which takes around an hour, [read tedious task]. Once re-programmed all the channels work fine.

...

It seems my only recourse is to file a complaint with the FCC and see what they can do.


What is happening is that the channel assignments to specific QAM channels are changing periodically.  That's why the channels "disappear" from you QAM tuner -- channels 2 and 9 are moved to different QAM frequencies.  Rescanning finds them and they "return."

Don't waste your time with a complaint.  You have absolutely no recourse with the FCC.  Verizon is under no regulatory obligation to keep channels on specific QAM channels.  They move them regularly for a variety of reasons.  It's unfortunate that you have to reaccomplish a "tedious" task, but that's the way it is.  And Verizon no longer must provide these clear QAM channels anyway.  The FCC now allows all service providers to scramble the signals, but Verizon has not chosen to do so -- yet.

Re: Loss of Local HD Channel - S. California
PjD805
Enthusiast

It comes at no surprized the TOS releases VZ of any hardware liabilities. They want the customer to pay for everything including maintenance of VZ equipment they don't own. They require the customer to agree to replace the back-up battery. If the power goes out I don't need the back-up, [ I don't have a land line].

I'm guessing you didn't understand the issue - there's no problem with my equipment. The issue is a change at their end that they won't admit to.I can't blame Customer Service as they are probably unaware of what happens at the central office.

When you program a TV it checks all the frequencies that carry the broadcast channels. Later if the frequency changes at the source the TV will no longer see that channel and will have to re-learn the new frequency. I find it suspicious that this happens every 2-3 months... 

0 Likes
Re: Loss of Local HD Channel - S. California
PjD805
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies...

If this happened once or twice I'd write it off as not a big deal. The fact this has happened multiple times makes it worthwhile to report. No matter if they have an obligation or not, they're providing sub-par service which is sad consider how much I pay for it! Like many have done - I'm real close to cutting the cable cord!

The point of this post was to see if others had experienced the same issue...

0 Likes
Re: Loss of Local HD Channel - S. California
beetlejuice2
Specialist

@PjD805 wrote:
It comes at no surprized the TOS releases VZ of any hardware liabilities. They want the customer to pay for everything including maintenance of VZ equipment they don't own. They require the customer to agree to replace the back-up battery. If the power goes out I don't need the back-up, [ I don't have a land line].

 I'm guessing you didn't understand the issue - there's no problem with my equipment. The issue is a change at their end that they won't admit to.I can't blame Customer Service as they are probably unaware of what happens at the central office.


I understood the issue, but you said, "I recently spoke with T/Support again and they more or less said, if you don't have a STB we can't help you." All I was pointing out was if you aren't using a Verizon owned device/equipment with the service then they won't help no matter what the issue is regardless if its coming from frequencys changing or not. No cable provider will help unless it is their equipment being used to provide the service. As far as the battery goes why should they replace it? All batteries die at some point. If your car battery dies, your smoke alarm battery dies, your cell phone battery dies, etc. do you expect them to replace it for free as well? They are required to provide batteries for the ont's, but they don't have to be used. They can be removed and forgotten about. Verizon will maintain the ont, dvr's, etc. if they fail because they own those. The batteries and remotes are the subscribers. 

PJL pretty mcuh covered the fcc stuff. You'd be better off just switching providers and saving your time if you aren't happy.

0 Likes
Re: Loss of Local HD Channel - S. California
PJL
Master

@beetlejuice wrote:

@PjD805 wrote:
It comes at no surprized the TOS releases VZ of any hardware liabilities. They want the customer to pay for everything including maintenance of VZ equipment they don't own. They require the customer to agree to replace the back-up battery. If the power goes out I don't need the back-up, [ I don't have a land line].

 I'm guessing you didn't understand the issue - there's no problem with my equipment. The issue is a change at their end that they won't admit to.I can't blame Customer Service as they are probably unaware of what happens at the central office.


...

PJL pretty mcuh covered the fcc stuff. You'd be better off just switching providers and saving your time if you aren't happy.


PjD805, it's your hardware, not Verizon's, that is the point of your complaint about QAM channel assignments changing.

And you'll see the same issue with any provider that uses QAM delivery.

0 Likes
Re: Loss of Local HD Channel - S. California
PjD805
Enthusiast

PJL: "it's your hardware, not Verizon's, that is the point of your complaint about QAM channel assignments changing.

 And you'll see the same issue with any provider that uses QAM delivery."

Wow how did you come up with that conclusion?! Don't you think it's the least bit suspious that this issue happens every 2-3months on the same channels? I didn't have this issue with TWC. How could you possibly know about the quality of service with other providers?! What makes you an expert, do you work for the industry..?

You've missed the point of this post. I'm not here to be berated, but rather to find others that have had the same issue. If you haven't had the issue, I don't need your help or opinions...

0 Likes
Re: Loss of Local HD Channel - S. California
PjD805
Enthusiast

BeetleJuice,

re: Battery; would you replace an expensive battery that you don't need - probably not? As mentioned if the power goes out I won't be using the service, [tv or internet] - replacement is pointless.

"why should they replace it?" Because it's attached to their equipment which I don't own. I own all the other things you mentioned.

re: service; What I'm paying for is to have a TV signal sent to home. If for some reason the signal [or channels] are not working or incomplete then they should either correct the issue or reduce my bill. Regardless of what the TOS says, customer satisfaction should be their number 1 goal and obviously it's not.

What I find interesting is why you & PJL are defending VZ - it's almost as if you work for them[?]. Why else would you discourage me from filing a complaint and rattle off the TOS..??

0 Likes
Re: Loss of Local HD Channel - S. California
PJL
Master

PjD805, I do not work for and am not defending Verizon, and am disappointed with your accusations and personal comments.  I do understand how the QAM system works and how Verizon periodically reassigns channels to optimize bandwidth availability.  I also know that the FCC has no jurisdiction over that process.  I was just sharing that information with the forum to clarify your erroneous assumptions.

You'll not see a further reply from me on this topic.  Have a nice day. Smiley Happy