Low audio for one channel
Scott_r1
Enthusiast - Level 3

For most channels, I have the audio set in the upper 30s to mid-40s. But for the CW, I have to crank it up to 60 or so or dialog is inaudible. I can't say for certain that this is the only channel so effected since I don't watch all that many, but it's consistently so here. Is this simply a matter of "that's how that channel is" or is there a way to fix the audio of individual channels?

This happens with the STB connected via HDMI or component, and with and without a sound bar.

0 Likes
Re: Low audio for one channel
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Scott_r1 wrote:

For most channels, I have the audio set in the upper 30s to mid-40s. But for the CW, I have to crank it up to 60 or so or dialog is inaudible. I can't say for certain that this is the only channel so effected since I don't watch all that many, but it's consistently so here. Is this simply a matter of "that's how that channel is" or is there a way to fix the audio of individual channels?

This happens with the STB connected via HDMI or component, and with and without a sound bar.

That channel may be using less compression than the others you watch, or a different audio format like stereo vs Dolby digital. You might want to check the audio sections of the setup menu to see if you have no compression or audio passthrough enabled.

Scott_r1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks. Do only certain STB's have those options? I have the Motorola QIP7232-P2. Under Audio in Settings, there is:

STB Volume

Audio Format (STEREO)

Volume control (FIXED) though I've also tried variable

Dynamic Range (LIGHT)

Audio Alerts

Audio Selection

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Scott_r1 wrote:

Thanks. Do only certain STB's have those options? I have the Motorola QIP7232-P2. Under Audio in Settings, there is:

STB Volume

Audio Format (STEREO)

Volume control (FIXED) though I've also tried variable

Dynamic Range (LIGHT)

Audio Alerts

Audio Selection

The Fios one has passthrough, you could try audio format and see if it has a surround option. Dynamic range is the compression setting, light gives you the biggest swing of loud to soft, heavy is the least change form soft to loud. Volume should be fixed if you use anything other than the box to control volume. Once you set the volume control to fixed, the volume will be set to an optimal value.

Scott_r1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've used Surround for audio format, with both the TV (Samsung) and the sound bar (Sonos); no difference for the lower volume for that one channel. Volume is already set to Fixed.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Scott_r1 wrote:

I've used Surround for audio format, with both the TV (Samsung) and the sound bar (Sonos); no difference for the lower volume for that one channel. Volume is already set to Fixed.

Try setting the compression to heavy.

Scott_r1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Setting compression to heavy doesn't help. It simply muddies the sound for ALL channels while not fixing the volume issue on the one.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Scott_r1 wrote:

Setting compression to heavy doesn't help. It simply muddies the sound for ALL channels while not fixing the volume issue on the one.

If you tried the other suggestions and one is still lower than others it is most likely broadcast that way. Providers are notorious for not closely following standards and this may be the case, especially if it does it with more than one box.

King1996

I’m currently having a problem with this. The audio on Disney Channel was good until yesterday when I was watching the channel and it started getting glitchy and the audio changed the audio is really low now

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@King1996 wrote:

I’m currently having a problem with this. The audio on Disney Channel was good until yesterday when I was watching the channel and it started getting glitchy and the audio changed the audio is really low now

Try powering off the Fios Box, remove the power cord for 3 minutes, remove the HDMI cable, Plug power back in, plug HDMI back in see if that helps. If not try: Main Menu > Customer Support > Top Support Tools > Fix FiOS TV Issues, see if that helps.