Motorola Hd set top box and Fios
Pooch72

An update was done back in April. The next day we had no picture when we turned on the TV.

We can not get  a picture to come on  for about 3 minutes or more and a lot of fiddling on the remote. 

We did all the troubleshooting  and in home agent things.  I talked to a FIOS agent in April .  Fios said Motorola was working on a fix.  They  sent component cables red blue and green to attach.  Which we did.  No change.  So we waited patiently.

Called to day (3 months later)and Fios agent said to disconnect the hdmi cable and just use the component cables.  He did not know of any fix for the box at this time.  We disconnected the HDMI and no picture at all.

We really would like to be able to turn on our TV and have a picture with out all the fiddling around. 

Our HD DVR  upstairs is working fine and the standard set top box in the kids TV room works fine. 

Right now it look s like we will have to pay extra for a DVR in order to be able to turn our TV and have a picture.

Any one have  any ideas?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Motorola Hd set top box and Fios
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The HDMI and Component Video cables are two different sources of video ...

If you never disconnected the HDMI nor changed the input you were viewing on the TV, you neveractually tried what Verizon had asked you to really do.

Disconnect the HDMI cable and leave it disconnected.

Connect the component cables (and audio cables) to the TV

Change the video INPUT on the TV to Component (not HDMI) -- if your TV has more than one set of component inputs, make sure you choose the right one.

Now what do you see?

0 Likes
Pooch72

Did all that.  theTV  set  still says no signal and theset top box  box says DU1 or DUl.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you disconnect the HDMI from the STB as well?

The DUI (or DVI) display doesn't mean your STB has been busted for driving while intoxicated.  It means the box thinks it should be using the HDMI output but is encoutering an error negotiating what type of video it should send (DVI with not audio or HDMI with embedded digital audio).

If that doesn't work -- power cycle the box after disconnecting all the HDMI/DVI cables from both ends and leave only the Component cables attached.

0 Likes
Pooch72

Yes, I did.  You are too funny! I needed the chuckle I have been working on this since 1:00 PM  today. Thanks for explaining what that means. 

I will try to work with it more tomorrow and start all over hooking it up.

It doesn't look like it wants to work with components cables with out the HDMI though even with the input changed to components.  Unless we have the HDMI we can't get any type of picture. 

It was working fine before the update in April and we had  our service for 3 years without a problem prior to that.

Thank you for your suggestions.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK ... so some other things to investigate ... how about rounding up a composite cable and audio cable and trying that or connecting the RF output (if your box has one) to the RF input on your TV via coax.   Yes ... this will not deliver HD, but let's see if we can figure out if you can get a signal thru some other mechnism than the HDMI or if the box is toast.

If that doesn't work, another thing you can try is looking at the settings on the STB itself -- hook the HDMI back up again -- and then with the power ON the STB -- on the front panel itself (not on the remote) press in succession about 1/2 second apart -- "Power", "Select", "Menu".   This will bring up a configuration menu for the STB.

You can also try looking on the diagnostics menu to see if the box might be saying anything which might clean you in to what it's thinking.  You get to this with the STB ON by pressing -- "Power", "Select", "Select".

Lastly, maybe the box is confused.  You could call Verizon and ask them to do a hard reset on your box (not a soft reset). 

Oh ... and since you said you have another STB on a different TV ... did you try swapping boxes to see if the problem stays with the TV or moves with the box? 

0 Likes
Pooch72

Here are the results of the 4  things to try:

1. Powercycle box=  nothing

2. power select menu =  d0l

3. Power select select  = d0l

4. Connect RF out put to RF on TV =   TV turns on immediately

0 Likes
Pooch72

I will try the DVR box from  another room.  The other is just a standard box without HD.

Then I will call for a hard reset.

0 Likes
Pooch72

Ok we called and spoke with a FIOS agent to do the hard set.  That didn't work. 

We brought another TV down and hooked it up.  The Fios agent tested it and is now sending out a new  HD-STB to try.  Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Will let you know. I pray it is not the TV as it is not quite a year old.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes