Moved into New Apartment - Not Grounded?
Paralex

Hey all,

I moved into a new apartment and the house seems like it was built in the 60's. Most of the outlets are 2 prong. There are only 3 outlets with 3 prong plugs. I tested it with GFCI tester and it showed up as not grounded. My installation is scheduled for Friday, October 21. I was wondering if I should be concerned with the lack of grounding in my new apartment?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Moved into New Apartment - Not Grounded?
questioning_old
Contributor - Level 2

I hope my reply is not too late but I know when I had my Verizon Fios set up in my apartment a couple of years ago, it was an issue with finding a grounded outlet and fortunately, the Verizon techs were able to find one in my kitchen behind the refrigerator for installing a box.  My apartment too, while very much up to date, dates back at least to the 60s too.  Without the one grounded outlet, the installation would not have been completed and I remember too when we had to get the super to come to pry off the board that covers the opening into the cross base so the co-axial cables and wiring could run through there, since I live on the first floor.  It was a pain in the neck.

I remember too when they explained to me why it was so important to have a grounded outlet, in case I ever touch the electricity so I don't get shocked?  In all reality, why would I do that?  lol ...Then I think the next explanation I got was if my power goes out, the service can still work?  They were also explaining this to my super who didn't know about ground outlets.  I told them to take it up with him since I don't own the property but it's really the landlord who controls that.

So I guess you have to contact your landlord who can make at least one of the outlets grounded?  Or actually, could ask your super who could probably to get an electrician to do that.  I honestly never even knew or understood how that could be such an issue until I had the Fios installed because I never stick my fingers in an outlet and nobody with a lick of common sense would do that and I have plenty of appliances plugged in.  Personally, I think it's just for the company Verizon to cover itself so it won't get sued.   

I remember in my old complex, a lot of the outlets only had the two prongs but that can easily be corrected if you buy those 3-prong adapters from Home Depot.  They're inexpensive. 

Good luck!

0 Likes