Movie package not automatically disabled
hammer

I had Fios installed in January and took the offer to have the Movie Package free for 3 months.  I've never been billed for it but it didn't get automatically shut off at the end of the trial period either.

Anyone else had this happen?  Will I get a "surprise bill" at some point?

0 Likes
Re: Movie package not automatically disabled
prisaz
Legend

@hammer wrote:

I had Fios installed in January and took the offer to have the Movie Package free for 3 months.  I've never been billed for it but it didn't get automatically shut off at the end of the trial period either.

Probably. I would suspect you will be told at some point that you subscribed, and then it will be added to your account. Enjoy it while it last, or contact Verizon and demand it be removed before it shows up. Unless you plan on keeping it. If so, be prepaired to pay for it. I had the Spanish package for a day when I subscribed, and then contacted Verizon the day after having my FIOS TV installed, and asked that it be removed. It was removed from my account, but then showed up on my account years later. Never noticed if the programming was still there because I did not watch it.Smiley Indifferent

Message Edited by prisaz on 05-29-2009 04:38 PM
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@hammer wrote:

Keep in mind that most "free" offers from Verizon require you to cancel at or before the end of the free period.  They consider no action an automatic opt-in for fee.  Call them ASAP if you're not planning on paying.

hammer

@Keyboards wrote:

Keep in mind that most "free" offers from Verizon require you to cancel at or before the end of the free period.  They consider no action an automatic opt-in for fee.  Call them ASAP if you're not planning on paying.

According to the website, it was going to be cancelled automatically without any action required on my part.

Verizon even contacted me several times asking me if I wanted to keep the package, and I clearly said NO and asked them to remove it at the end of the free period.

Doesn't matter, guess I need to make another phone call....

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@hammer wrote:

@Keyboards wrote:

According to the website, it was going to be cancelled automatically without any action required on my part.

Verizon even contacted me several times asking me if I wanted to keep the package, and I clearly said NO and asked them to remove it at the end of the free period.

Doesn't matter, guess I need to make another phone call....

Like I said, "Enjoy it while it lasts". But it was only a few days after I commented to someone that Verizon's Customer Premises Equipment Manager software not being in sync with their billing system, before things that some tech had messed up, showed up on my account. Took some kicking, screaming and insisting that I did not subscribe to it, to have it removed. I am still not sure it was removed properly. So if you see something that is not right, call them and insist it gets fixed. Calling them and being sure it gets removed from your account and your system, is the only real solution.

Message Edited by prisaz on 05-29-2009 05:09 PM
0 Likes
hammer

OK, I just contacted Verizon by online chat...was told that it would be disconnected and I should not be billed.  Also made sure I saved the chat info.

No big deal for me to lose these channels...a lot of them were showing the same set of movies for several months...

0 Likes
jmcohen231
Contributor - Level 3

@hammer wrote:

OK, I just contacted Verizon by online chat...was told that it would be disconnected and I should not be billed.  Also made sure I saved the chat info.

No big deal for me to lose these channels...a lot of them were showing the same set of movies for several months...

don't rely on that.

I went through the exact same process.  I called them up about 6 weeks before the promotion ended to canel it.

I checked my TV after the promotion, and I still had the channels.  Then I checked my bill, and I was billed for them.  When I called them to ask **bleep**, they said, "Oh, I see you did call to cancel it 6 weeks ago, I'll update your account now and remove the charges."

So at least they corrected the issue without incident, still though, I'm sure it's part of their standard operating procedures.  For every person that pays attention, and does cancel, there are probably 10 that do not.

0 Likes
rexxriot2
When I subscribed to FiOS back in December, I also got the Movie package free for 3 months.  It didn't get get turned off until May.  And I never got charged for it.  I actually still may be signed up for all the On Demand stuff too, but I haven't checked to see if it still works.
0 Likes
kadoodle

I had the exact same thing happen to me. Installed at the beginning of the year, and I *specifically* asked the woman on the phone when I ordered: "do I have to explicitly opt out of this movie thing?" She said "no". There was no misunderstanding of what was being asked, there was no miscommunication.

I guess "no" means either "I don't really know, so I'll just say 'no'", or maybe it means "I know the answer is 'yes', but I'm going to say 'no' anyway". But whatever it means, Verizon "no" is apparently inconsistent with the common English definition of "no", because the correct answer would have been "yes" (common English definition).

With all the other threads and posts on this very topic it kinda makes you wonder.

0 Likes
melish27
fwiw I had FiOS installed a few weeks ago and received a two-month free promo on the movie package. I asked initially about whether I'd have to opt out afterward and was told yes, if I don't opt out the service will continue for $1 a day.
0 Likes