Moving crosstown with FIOS
dhlunar
Enthusiast - Level 3

My wife and I are moving from an apartment to a condo in a couple of weeks.  We have FIOS in the apartment, and I placed an ouder for FIOS at the new place.  I have a couple of questions.

1. When I placed the order this morning the system asked me for what date I wanted the FIOS installed at the new place and for service to be disconnected at the old place.  I put down to install and disconnect on September 28.  However, is possible to overlap, such as have the install on September 25 and the discconect at the old place on the 28?  Verizon said I can keep my phone number.

2. I was told by an agent on the phone, who put me on hold to verify, to take my STB and router with me.  However, the agent I spoke with on chat this morning and the documentation that I received said I had to return my STB and a new one would be issued. So can I take my boxes or do I need to return them and get a new one?

3. In my current apartment the fiber comes into the apartment and I have a BBU and ONT in my bedroom closet.  I take it, I need to ask my leasing office if they want me to leave it or have Verizon come take it?  At the new place, I don't beleive there is dedicated wiring for FIOS in the unit.  So, would the new place use a MDU ONT in a common area and I would use the existing wiring in the unit for phone and cable/internet? 

0 Likes
Re: Moving crosstown with FIOS
tns
Master - Level 2

Definitely take your router and STB.  If verizon wants them, and assuming your new equipment is actually better, they can take it from you when they install, or send you boxes and return authorizations to return them.

My understanding they usually don't replace STB on a move.  They sometimes replace routers.

Note if you do end up returning anything by UPS/USPS get receipts from the carrier.

0 Likes
MShoe1

The ont/bbu stays with the apartment.  I'm not certain what factor(s) are involved with either returning STB's or reusing them, if Verizon wants you to return them they will send you a box or boxes to use to return them.  Existing voice and coax wiring is used with shared ont's.

0 Likes
dhlunar
Enthusiast - Level 3

Despite the fact that two agents on the phone, and what I have been told by others here on this forum, Verizon still sent me the box to return my STB and router.  The only person who told me that I need to return the equipment is the chat agent that I chatted with when I ordered put the order in to transfer the service.  I told my wife, that we are taking the STB and the router with us to the new place and if the tech provides us with new equipment, then I am going to return them in-person the Verizon FIOS store not too far from us.  

What I don't want is for the boxes to be used by us again, and it not reflecting in the system that we are still using the same boxes and we get a bill for $650 for the equipment.

0 Likes