Multiple remote buttons changing volume
jm716
I did a search and could not find this problem. Our Verizon FiOS remote changes the TV volume when pressing the channel-up and channel-down buttons (also a couple other non-volume buttons) in addition to changing the channel. Our TV brand is Superscan (I know, it's an off-brand) and I'm guessing that it coincidentally uses the same signal/frequency for volume that the Verizon remote uses for other functions. Does anyone know how to deal with this other than getting a new TV?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Multiple remote buttons changing volume
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Well the first thing I would try is just to reset the remote and then reprogram again and see if that does it.

If you have the remote with the 4 device buttons at the top. the reset command is..

RE-SETTING THE REMOTE

Note: All previous programming will be lost.

To reset the remote to the original setting, do the following steps.

1. Press and hold the STB key.

2. While holding down the STB key, press OK.

3. Release both keys. The Device Keys will blink twice.

4. Press 9 - 0 - 0. The STB key will blink 3 times to indicate success in programming

If you have the remote with just the TV power and STB power buttons. The command is..

Reset the Remote Control

Original Settings

1. Press and hold the <OKand  2  buttons together, and release.

2. The RED LED will blink twice and then stay on.

3. Press 9 - 0 0.

4. The RED LED will blink 3 times and then turn off to indicate original settings are restored.

5. CAUTION, all previous programming in the remote control will be lost if you follow this procedure.

Of course after resetting the remote, you will have to reprogram the remote for the tv. But before you reprogram the remote, try the different buttons to see if they still change the volume or not. If they do, then the Motorola frequencies are similar to your TV and its "cross talking", If not, then when you reprogram, hopefully it will clear what ever was causing the problem.

View solution in original post

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Well the first thing I would try is just to reset the remote and then reprogram again and see if that does it.

If you have the remote with the 4 device buttons at the top. the reset command is..

RE-SETTING THE REMOTE

Note: All previous programming will be lost.

To reset the remote to the original setting, do the following steps.

1. Press and hold the STB key.

2. While holding down the STB key, press OK.

3. Release both keys. The Device Keys will blink twice.

4. Press 9 - 0 - 0. The STB key will blink 3 times to indicate success in programming

If you have the remote with just the TV power and STB power buttons. The command is..

Reset the Remote Control

Original Settings

1. Press and hold the <OKand  2  buttons together, and release.

2. The RED LED will blink twice and then stay on.

3. Press 9 - 0 0.

4. The RED LED will blink 3 times and then turn off to indicate original settings are restored.

5. CAUTION, all previous programming in the remote control will be lost if you follow this procedure.

Of course after resetting the remote, you will have to reprogram the remote for the tv. But before you reprogram the remote, try the different buttons to see if they still change the volume or not. If they do, then the Motorola frequencies are similar to your TV and its "cross talking", If not, then when you reprogram, hopefully it will clear what ever was causing the problem.

jm716
Wow, I was convinced it was cross-talk, but the resetting process fixed it! We can now change channels without changing the volume :-). Thanks so much!
0 Likes
ronniepipes

I'm having this problem but the solution did not work for me.

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes