NBC Flagging HD Programs as Do Not Record
alan241

Last night I began to see messages that my HTPC with a Verizon Cable Card cannot record NBC programs because of "restrictions by the content provider."  There are some other sporadic reports and I heard back from the Verizon Rep on Broadband DSLreports.com of other complaints.  I'm wondering how widespread this is.  I don't know if this is impacting those with set top boxes or not. 

I've tried sending a message to NBC through their website but who knows whether they will even see it.  I guess I'll need to alert the FCC as this is not supposed to happen.

0 Likes
Re: NBC Flagging HD Programs as Do Not Record
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I read on another forum that Ceton just released a beta firmware upgrade to fix the problem with their cards.

Comments were that Haupagge hasn't released anything yet.

0 Likes
alan241

^^Will do.  I've heard back from the local NBC affiliate who said nothing has changed on their end.  I've also seen other postings that say Verizon might be at fault.  The NBC affiliate folks are going to contact Verizon to see what is happening.  As noted this only impacts those of us with Cable Card Tuners.

0 Likes
sbdman
Enthusiast - Level 1

Didn't see this thread, before I posted another. Same problem, and no, Ceton does not have a new beta driver - the one listed was out 12/2013 and does not address copy protection. And it's just this one channel out of 800+ I can't record. The Greenbutton had a post about a very early beta, but that was even before Windows 7 was out. So, I doubt that would help now.

Either Fios or NBC needs to correct this, and if the latter of the two, I'd hope Fios could facilitate in helping this get accomplished?

0 Likes
MTerrill68

I'll add my "Me too" to the list.  Windows Media Center with Ceton infiniTV6 ETH and cable card.  Problem started for me middle of last week.  Glad to see that Verizon cares about all of it's customer's *equally*.  Do they even monitor these forums?? I can't imagine how long it would take to explain this to their Tier 1 support before I got past the "Please power off and power on your cable box" replies.

-mt

0 Likes
buhbuhh
I am having the same issue. It started on 4/27 for me. Mainly on NBCHD but now on other HD channels. WUSAHD, WDCWHD, and even FOXNEWSHD. I have a Ceton InfiniTV6 of card with a cable card. I plan on contacting FIOS support tomorrow and will open a ticket with Ceton just I case they ha e a fix.
0 Likes
sbdman
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've already sent a second diagnostic report from my infiniTV 4. The primary problem is not being able to record 504. The secondary is not being able to upload the firmware file released through TheGreenButton.com. CetonCorp doesn't provide this file on their website, don't understand why if this is working for some?

Anyway if Alan24 is right that NBC is contacting Verizon about a problem with Verizon, and the fact that no representative has answered or offered to find out this porblem (duplicated on 2 other threads), then this shows a very poor Customer Support performance!

Really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Take your money, raise rates, and ignore your customers with problems. Just sad.

0 Likes
sbdman
Enthusiast - Level 1

Update from Ceton customer service - basically, they don't provide support for the 4 tuner pci card, and if I'd like to upgrade to the 6 tuner for $160, that would probably do it. In my case, it's a known hardware error where the eprom gets locked from updating. Works, but the new firmware - if it does fix this problem, I won't be able to find out.

Now just waiting on Verizon to fix it on their end.

0 Likes
buhbuhh

Has this been corrected by Verizon? I changed all my WRC/NBC recordings to the SD channel and have been checking prime time recording on HD and was just able to record Dateline with no copy protection flag indicated on the Ceton tuner web page. Just curious to find out if anyone eles has been able to record on WRCHD.

0 Likes
sbdman
Enthusiast - Level 1

Often times the recording of NBC HD starts off ok on some programs, others it doesn't.

Verizon has done nothing on this. You'd think they could at least contact the service they pay for and we pay Verizon for to resolve this, but without a lot of complaints, we are left in the "ignore list."

0 Likes