New to FIOS with several video issues
MikeC

I switched to FIOS from Comcast four days ago and now have several intermittent video and guide issues I never experienced with Comcast. I've read many posts about the new firmware (1.7) which is rolling out this month, and was hoping to get some clarification on whether these issues are addressed with the update. Sorry if I am re-hashing issues already discussed,  but I just want to be sure I'm dealing with the same problems as everyone else. The 2 STBs I have are the 7216 and the 7100. Both are connected via HDMI and both are v. 1.6.2.

Issues on both STBs

- Video and audio drops out for a second on HD channels, just a black screen. This occurs sometimes when switching to another channel, and usually does not recover unless I switch to another channel then back to it.

- When switching channels, the channel does not change, even though info bar does change and shows the desired channel (if I switch back and forth between channels it will eventually switch correctly. This issue can occur using the Channel up-down button, the "Last" button, or using the number keypad.) Also, the opposite sometimes occurs - the channel changes, but the info bar takes several seconds to catch up.

DVR (7216) only issues

- Pixelation when trying to rewind live video (video remains live but corruption occurs llike it is trying to rewind) . Going to another channel and then back usually makes normal rewinding possible.

- Signal drops when playing a recorded program (no audio and snow for a second or two). However, it is not the recording itself since it does not occur in the same place if you rewind the recording and play it again. This is almost the same kind of drop mentioned above, but there is snow instead of a blank screen.

I'm debating on going back to Comcast. I love the FIOS features, the extra HD channels, and the deal I got with Verizon, but it is all useless without stable performance.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. -Mike

0 Likes
Re: New to FIOS with several video issues
jrice

Mike,

I am experiencing the exact same issues as you and am also a new(ish) customer. I would also like to know if the new firmware fixes these issues. They are very annoying, especially the dropout issues. It seems to only happen on my box connected through HDMI. Lets see if we can get some answers.

0 Likes
law87

Mike,

I'm sorry to hear it.  I've had similar issues since 6/12 when I first signed up.  I have been trying to get resolved since then...have received SIX replacement DVRs to date--all of which were the 6416 models that pre-date the 7216 model they provided when I signed up.  The 7216 looks great when it works, but as you know, it consistently has issues.  The 6416 HD picture quality is much lower and appears to have similar issues.  I am now firmly convinced the Verizon does not care whatsoever about its customers.  The executives there must be focused on the near term revenue/profit targets they promised to the street, rather than building a sustainable business.  Once they get you to sign up, they make you call computer systems and waste countless hours trying to get live bodies who then don't solve your problems.  Verizon is officially the worst company I've ever done business with.  It is probably a good time to short this stock since folks will start to wake up one day soon and realize the sheer ineptitude of these people.

0 Likes
Tobers

I have the same issues.  Just started noticing them.  I am using HDMI since receiving a new HD TV.  Haven't compared DVR playback or regular viewing with composite cables to see if specific to HDMI.  Using the DVR buttons for rewinding are pretty much useless unless I turnoff the set and turn it back on and then it will rewind.  Playback of a few shows had black screens and loss of audio.  Like OP said, it isn't something specific to that location. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
MikeC

Update: Switched from hdmi to component cables and this seems to have corrected the video and audio drops both on live TV and DVR playback. No noticable difference in picture quality. Still sometimes get a very short skip, especially the audio right after changing channels, but nothing significant and no more than what I experienced with Comcast (probably would not have even noticed if I didn't experience the bigger problem).

Still experiencing the same intermittent bugs when changing channels. The 7216 STB doesn't always change channels, although the info bar reflects the switch. The 7100 is the opposite - channel changes but info bar has long delay. Also on the 7216, still have issues backing up live video. It appears that the buffer becomes corrupt now and then. Could just be a bad drive which may be causing the channel changing issue as well. Resetting the STBs and router had no effect.

I should be getting 1.7 update soon and will see if this corrects any of these issues. I will also switch back to HDMI after the update and will post my findings

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@MikeC wrote:

Update: Switched from hdmi to component cables and this seems to have corrected the video and audio drops both on live TV and DVR playback. No noticable difference in picture quality. Still sometimes get a very short skip, especially the audio right after changing channels, but nothing significant and no more than what I experienced with Comcast (probably would not have even noticed if I didn't experience the bigger problem).

Still experiencing the same intermittent bugs when changing channels. The 7216 STB doesn't always change channels, although the info bar reflects the switch. The 7100 is the opposite - channel changes but info bar has long delay. Also on the 7216, still have issues backing up live video. It appears that the buffer becomes corrupt now and then. Could just be a bad drive which may be causing the channel changing issue as well. Resetting the STBs and router had no effect.

I should be getting 1.7 update soon and will see if this corrects any of these issues. I will also switch back to HDMI after the update and will post my findings

Most of what you described are supposed to be fixed with 1.7. And as you saw most of it was fixed by switching to the component cables. Those items that are fixed by this are the ones that are being focused on with the 1.7

However, the problem with the info bar not changing in a timely manner. This will likely not be fixed. Those that already have 1.7 still have this issue. Also I've noticed lately that both my DTV DVR and my TIVO are both starting to do the same thing as my 6416 Verizon. (I have DTV with Tivo at another location). All three DVR's on two different companies are doing the same delay of 3-5 seconds when changing channels before the info bar changes. I watch the boards here and dont see any solutions and both DTV and TIVO said it is just a delay in the software on the DVR and that there is nothing they can do about it. It sounded like a cop out but since it is happening with 3 differnt manufactures and on two different companies, I'm not sure where to put the blame on this one.

the short skip that you see when changing channels is normal. usually this is when the resolution of the program changes especially when going from SD to HD. I've seen this on every digital system I've ever used. Dont think this is anything to be conserned about.

The problem with the box not changing channels. This is another story all together. This is one to be worried about and work on correcting. Does it only happen when using the remote? what if you use the channel up and down on the box itself? will it do the same with the other remote from the other box? Have you tried calling TS and had them reset the box yet?

0 Likes
MikeC

spacedebris wrote:

Most of what you described are supposed to be fixed with 1.7. And as you saw most of it was fixed by switching to the component cables. Those items that are fixed by this are the ones that are being focused on with the 1.7

However, the problem with the info bar not changing in a timely manner. This will likely not be fixed. Those that already have 1.7 still have this issue. Also I've noticed lately that both my DTV DVR and my TIVO are both starting to do the same thing as my 6416 Verizon. (I have DTV with Tivo at another location). All three DVR's on two different companies are doing the same delay of 3-5 seconds when changing channels before the info bar changes. I watch the boards here and dont see any solutions and both DTV and TIVO said it is just a delay in the software on the DVR and that there is nothing they can do about it. It sounded like a cop out but since it is happening with 3 differnt manufactures and on two different companies, I'm not sure where to put the blame on this one.

the short skip that you see when changing channels is normal. usually this is when the resolution of the program changes especially when going from SD to HD. I've seen this on every digital system I've ever used. Dont think this is anything to be conserned about.

The problem with the box not changing channels. This is another story all together. This is one to be worried about and work on correcting. Does it only happen when using the remote? what if you use the channel up and down on the box itself? will it do the same with the other remote from the other box? Have you tried calling TS and had them reset the box yet?

Thanks for the info. in regards to the switching channel issue, I don't think it's the remote since the Guide info reflects the channel change. I'm wondering if this issue and the my recorder/rewind problem (DVR doesn't respond when rewinding live video) are related. Switching to another channel and then back to it is the workaround for both these issues. A hardware problem could be causing both. Maybe when I switch channels the box can't start recording which is why it never switches. If all else fails, I'll see about getting the DVR replaced.

(Tech Support has already reset the box a couple of times) - Mike

0 Likes