Newly Installed Verizon Fios ONT Box Showing Red VID Light
Ward4NDC
Enthusiast - Level 3

A Verizon technician came to my home yesterday because my Internet wasn't letting me download photos and it was acting strange. When I did a Verizon Fios Speed test, it was poor. I contacted Verizon Tech Support and they too got a poor speed test on my Internet. A Verizon technician came to my home the same day. As soon as the technician walked into my apartment and saw the old white ONT box on the wall, he stated, I need to replace your Fios ONT box because it's old and we don't install those anymore. Verizon installed the black ONT box like pictured below with a white adaptor.

I noticed last night, a right light was showing on the ONT box and all the other lights were green. Looking carefully at the ONT box, it is the VID red light.  However, my t.v., Internet, and phone service were operating. Later that night, 2 cable Channels froze. I called Verizon Tech Support telling them about the ONT red VID light. Verizon tech supported stated, the technician didn't install the ONT box correctly and they sent out a Verizon technician Sunday afternoon. I showed the Verizon technician the Fios cable box on my floor. After he had some problems, he contacted his supervisor because the Fios wires in my building and outside my apartment door were very old and they needed to run new cable wires from my unit to the Fios cable box in the hallway. After they reconnected my Fios services, my television, cable, and phone service works fine. However, the red VID light is still showing on the newly installed ONT box. The Verizon technician told me not to worry about it because after putting in new fiber wires, it's transferring more that 90% of the data from the Fios cable box in the hallway down into my unit. 

My question, has anyone experienced a red VID light on a newly installed ONT box?  I am not going to worry about the red VID light on my new ONT box as long as everything is working on my Fios services. 

0 Likes
Re: Newly Installed Verizon Fios ONT Box Showing Red VID Light
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The last time I saw the "VID" LED illuminated on our ONT it was due to a Verizon impairment that knocked out television service on a regional basis.

I believe that the LED indicates a video signal level that is a bit on the low side. As long as television channels are problem-free, I wouldn't worry about it. If the problem returns, have Verizon DPO a technician again to continue working on the trouble. 🙂

Verizon Fios Network Outage In The Washington, DC Area & VID Red Light Showing ONT Box Installed
Ward4NDC
Enthusiast - Level 3

My VID red light is still on and my On Demand video is not working along with a slow Internet with a poor Verizon Fios Internet test. I contacted Verizon Tech Support at 7 a.m. Tuesday May 24, 2022. I was told, there is a Verizon Fios Network Outage in the Washington, D.C. area for several days, and something about the Network line has to be replaced. I don't understand why Verizon tech support didn't understand this Saturday May 21, 2022 when I contacted them regarding trouble with my Internet. The technician that came to my home stated, my old ONT (Optical Network Terminal) need to be replaced because the one installed in 2012 was outdated.

I was told this morning by Verizon Tech support, service should be restored today May 24, 2022 by 4:15 p.m. a repair ticket has been created for your service trouble and will be resolved on 05/24 by 4:15pm. We will see because many other Verizon Fios consumers are experiencing problems with their service. 

https://downdetector.com/status/verizon/washington/

0 Likes