No Dolby Surround from Motorola set-top box
KennyF2
Enthusiast - Level 2

For the last week or so -- roughly since the debut of the new FIOS guide -- my set-top box is no longer giving me dolby surround 5.1 audio on HD channels.  I'm only getting stereo.

I always got 5.1 dobly digital sound before.  I get 5.1 sound from my other sources (e.g., XBOX 360 and DVD player), so there's nothing wrong with my audio system.

I emailed customer support -- and got an answer -- after 4 days! -- saying 

"We are unable to address technical support or repair issues in this department and our Fiber Solutions Center cannot respond to you through email communication.You can chat with our Online Technical Support team by visiting our FiOS Technical Support site at the following URL:  http://www22.verizon.com/content/contactus/contactus.htm   But Live Chat is not available!  Grrr!

I've tried calling Tech Support -- but have twice been on hold for more than 25 minutes without ever speaking to a human.

Immensely frustrated!

k

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: No Dolby Surround from Motorola set-top box
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

KennyF,

I'm sorry you are having difficulty. An agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information or to help you resolve your issue.

0 Likes
KennyF2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi ornahp. 

How long will it be until an agent contacts me?  I had hoped it would be today, but that doesn't seem likely.

Perhaps it was too much to expect someone to reach me on a holiday.

I look forward to hearing from someone tomorrow (Tuesday).

Thanks so much for your help.

0 Likes
PistolPete13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Kenny,

It's possible the 1.9 update reset the audio setting of your box.  Check the following by bringing up the menu on your remote

Menu -->Settings --> Audio format --> 

Surround

Stereo

Mono

For 5.1 support, you should see an "OK" next to surround.

Even if it does show and OK, toggle it to stereo and back to surround then save/exit.

-Pete

0 Likes
KennyF2
Enthusiast - Level 2
Great idea, Pete, but it didn't work. Any other suggestions? Thanks! k
0 Likes
PistolPete13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Humm, interesting.

How hard would it be to pull the digital audio cable out (fiber or RCA) and re-seat it?

I'm thinking the ampiflier end may need to get reset.

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Please go to MENU > CUSTOMER SUPPORT > IN HOME AGENT > SET TOP BOX AUTO CORRECTION . This fixes most problems the boxes encounter. If you are still having trouble, please send me a private message.

0 Likes
KennyF2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Anthony.

I had tried STB auto-correction before, and it didn't work then.

It didn't work now either.

The problem is still there.

Any other ideas?

Thanks....k

0 Likes
Jeffro
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the HD DVR and have the same exact problem.  No 5.1 Dolby Digital on HD channels, only stereo.  I am using HDMI out.  Anyone have a solution?  Have tried all of the above, including rebooting the box and using auto correction.

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

What type of Audio cable are you running to your surround sound system?

0 Likes