Odd TV signal issue
Metsno1fan
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, I should preface this by saying I've had Fios since 2012. I had no issues with SNYHD (ch 577) or YESHD (ch 576) until sometime in the middle of March of last year. 

I noticed SNYHD wasn't coming in, the picture was broken up and the sound was garbled, same with YESHD. Both SD channels worked fine. I called the tech support and they sent someone out. They replaced the ONT and Cable Boxes, and even ran a new Coax directly to the new box, nothing worked and he was stumped. Next day he came back with another guy, more trial and error, but no results. Measured signals, moved boxes, nothing. Then the pandemic and baseball was canceled so I forgot about it.

Then in July, out of nowhere everything worked again, and did so flawlessly until

November or so, when both channels went out again. Fios has stated both channels are on the same frequency, and they are the only two channels on that particular frequency. Has anyone heard of anything like this? Everyone I talk to at Verizon, including the techs, are stumped. Has anyone heard of this? Spring Training starts up next week, so I need to get this fixed ASAP. 

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Odd TV signal issue
Metsno1fan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey,

So the problem ended up being the placement of the ONT.  Quick backstory: I had the original backup battery ONT until it died in 2020. They replaced it with the newer version of the ONT in the same spot, and then I noticed the issue a month or two after. Anyway, long story short after driving several techs nuts trying to figure out the issue, the last guy I had moved the new box about 2' further away from my electrical panel and it worked! I guess the new panels are more susceptible to interference and that was the issue. So maybe try unbolting in from the wall and moving it around while it's plugged in to see if that fixes it. Goodluck!

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Metsno1fan wrote:

So, I should preface this by saying I've had Fios since 2012. I had no issues with SNYHD (ch 577) or YESHD (ch 576) until sometime in the middle of March of last year. 

I noticed SNYHD wasn't coming in, the picture was broken up and the sound was garbled, same with YESHD. Both SD channels worked fine. I called the tech support and they sent someone out. They replaced the ONT and Cable Boxes, and even ran a new Coax directly to the new box, nothing worked and he was stumped. Next day he came back with another guy, more trial and error, but no results. Measured signals, moved boxes, nothing. Then the pandemic and baseball was canceled so I forgot about it.

Then in July, out of nowhere everything worked again, and did so flawlessly until

November or so, when both channels went out again. Fios has stated both channels are on the same frequency, and they are the only two channels on that particular frequency. Has anyone heard of anything like this? Everyone I talk to at Verizon, including the techs, are stumped. Has anyone heard of this? Spring Training starts up next week, so I need to get this fixed ASAP. 

Thanks!

When tuned to one of the problem stations, go to: Menu>settings>system information, hit the info key, look at the SNR and error counts and see if either isn't in the good range. If they are bad, it is an equipment problem. If good, its a transmission problem.

Metsno1fan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok so this is what I'm getting:

SNR Level: -error-

SNR Value: error DB

Frequency: error MHZ

Short term Error Count: 0

Carrirer Lock: true

But my question is, if its an equipment issue:The ONT was replaced, the boxes were replaced, and the tech ran a home run to new box from the ONT, and nothing fixed it.. what else is there to be replaced? Except of course when it fixed itself for no reason whatsover for a few months.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Metsno1fan wrote:

But my question is, if its an equipment issue:The ONT was replaced, the boxes were replaced, and the tech ran a home run to new box from the ONT, and nothing fixed it.. what else is there to be replaced? Except of course when it fixed itself for no reason whatsover for a few months.

There is no signal getting to your VMS box for some reason. Can you try another cable going direct from the ONT to your VMS box and see if it works? You won't get guide data but you should get a picture and audio. If that works, there is a bad cable between the ONT and the VMS. Where is the splitter in this situation? There should be one between the ONT and VMS and the router.

Metsno1fan
Enthusiast - Level 2

@clem53 wrote:

@Metsno1fan wrote:

There is no signal getting to your VMS box for some reason. Can you try another cable going direct from the ONT to your VMS box and see if it works? You won't get guide data but you should get a picture and audio. If that works, there is a bad cable between the ONT and the VMS. Where is the splitter in this situation? There should be one between the ONT and VMS and the router.

Just tried that with a cable the Verizon tech left last time. Picture was slightly better but still unwatchable. It listed both channels' frequency as 639MHz after and they appear to be the only two channels on that frequency.  I have also noticed extremely slow internet speeds in my house.. 30-70mb/s despite having a gigabit connection in a relatively small house. Not sure if that is somehow related?

I have a 12" coax between the ONT and a 3-way splitter to the router and cable boxes. Verizon even replaced that last time when they were trying to troubleshoot. I appreciate the help though!

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Metsno1fan wrote:

@clem53 wrote:

@Metsno1fan wrote:

Just tried that with a cable the Verizon tech left last time. Picture was slightly better but still unwatchable. It listed both channels' frequency as 639MHz after and they appear to be the only two channels on that frequency.  I have also noticed extremely slow internet speeds in my house.. 30-70mb/s despite having a gigabit connection in a relatively small house. Not sure if that is somehow related?

I have a 12" coax between the ONT and a 3-way splitter to the router and cable boxes. Verizon even replaced that last time when they were trying to troubleshoot. I appreciate the help though!

Did they replace the splitter with a MocA 2.0 certified splitter?

Did you run the speed test wired to a device capable of Gigabit speeds?

If so, you have a bigger issue that the tech didn't address. Wired to the router, running the Fios speed test you should get 900+Mbps for the speed at the router.

https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/

Have you powercycled your router lately?

Metsno1fan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay, so wired connection to my laptop is not getting above 420 mb/s download and 720 mb/s upload. Splitter is a Moca 2.0. 

I tested the SNY signal again and it goes back and forth now from 'Fair' and an SNR of 34.7 (with the picture still breaking up a bit) to an SNR of 0 with the picture freezing for about 15 seconds.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Metsno1fan wrote:

Okay, so wired connection to my laptop is not getting above 420 mb/s download and 720 mb/s upload. Splitter is a Moca 2.0. 

I tested the SNY signal again and it goes back and forth now from 'Fair' and an SNR of 34.7 (with the picture still breaking up a bit) to an SNR of 0 with the picture freezing for about 15 seconds.

You need to get someone else out there to check your equipment. Maybe a fiber issue, Maybe a flaky ONT, Something is DEFINITELY not right with your system.

Try here:

EastSideMetsFan
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just stumbled up on this thread -- I've been having the same problem (some last year and definitely this year).  Just ordered new set top boxes to install and see if that helps.  Wondering if @Metsno1fan ever found resolution to the problem?  Thanks!

0 Likes
Metsno1fan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey,

So the problem ended up being the placement of the ONT.  Quick backstory: I had the original backup battery ONT until it died in 2020. They replaced it with the newer version of the ONT in the same spot, and then I noticed the issue a month or two after. Anyway, long story short after driving several techs nuts trying to figure out the issue, the last guy I had moved the new box about 2' further away from my electrical panel and it worked! I guess the new panels are more susceptible to interference and that was the issue. So maybe try unbolting in from the wall and moving it around while it's plugged in to see if that fixes it. Goodluck!