Optical Audio setup?
Diego10901
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does anyone know if you need to set up the optical audio on the 6416 stb in order for it to work?

In addition to the HDMI handshake issue now I cannot use my Yamaha home theatre because when I converted to component I had to use the (2) sound outputs on the stb.

I am also checking with Yamaha because when I connect the one end of the optical cennector to the Verizon stb the other connection lights up, but when connected to the receiver the other connection is not illuminated. I don't know if that has any bearing.......................

All I do know is that these Motorola STB's (especially the DVR) are garbage and need to be replaced with something that works.

I appreciate any imput. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Optical Audio setup?
BrianC
Contributor - Level 3

This may or may not work for you, but my old Sony receiver assigns the optical audio input as a DVD input source only.  So I have to switch to DVD on my receiver in order to get sound from my STB (have the optical going directly from the STB to the Sony receiver).  Is it possible your receiver may assign optical audio to a different source name.  May be worth a try switching to see what happens.  If that's not it, then unfortunately I have no idea with my limited technical skills.  Thought it might be worth a try.

View solution in original post

PJL
Master - Level 3

Have you enabled the optiocal port on the Yamaha receiver for the specific source?  On my receiver, I need to tell it that a specific optical input is to be used for selecting a specific source on the input selector.  You might try this. 

0 Likes
Diego10901
Enthusiast - Level 3

I looked at the manual yesterday but could not find anything relating to enabling the optical audio. As I stated earlier I reached out to Yamaha support but I have not heard back from them yet.

How did you set that up, the Yamaha receiver is not very user friendly.

Thanks for the input.  

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

What is the model number of your Yamaha receiver?

0 Likes
Diego10901
Enthusiast - Level 3

HTR-5830 6 Channel

0 Likes
BrianC
Contributor - Level 3

This may or may not work for you, but my old Sony receiver assigns the optical audio input as a DVD input source only.  So I have to switch to DVD on my receiver in order to get sound from my STB (have the optical going directly from the STB to the Sony receiver).  Is it possible your receiver may assign optical audio to a different source name.  May be worth a try switching to see what happens.  If that's not it, then unfortunately I have no idea with my limited technical skills.  Thought it might be worth a try.

PJL
Master - Level 3

I looked at the  HTR-5830 manual.  It appears there is a  "Set Menu" where you can set various paramaters.  Under this menu is an "Input Menu" that allows you to assign input jacks.  The "I/O Input Assign" parameter is where you assign an input jack to the component to be used.  It's on page 44 of the PDF version of the manual I found online. 

0 Likes
Diego10901
Enthusiast - Level 3

PJL,

I took a look at the manual and it seems promising. I appreciate your imput and I hope this works.

Brian,

If what PJL does not work I will give your suggestion a try.

Thanks alot, I will update tommorow.    

0 Likes
Gdaymate
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the Digital Audio output of my Motorola DVR connected to a Yamaha HTR-5240. It all works fine when I press the input mode button until I get to SAT/DTV Auto.

0 Likes
Diego10901
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey guys,  

After trying the manual and switching ports on the back of the receiver I had no luck with the surround sound.

I still have to call customer support back for Yamaha because they told me that they could not do so via e-mail. Hopefully they understand their product better than the manual explains it (or rather than does not explain it)

Thankyou again for your input.   

0 Likes