Picture In Picture
Cspicuzza83

Is there a way to watch two channels at the same time with my Verizon fios?

0 Likes
Re: Picture In Picture
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Via a single STB, no.  They have no PIP support.

Some odd ways to do it from your TV.  For example I have a cable splitter set up to send the signal also to my TV which supports PIP.  I then can watch one local channel via the TV's tuner, and one via the STB.

ReformedCableCu
Enthusiast - Level 1

Then why is there a PiP button the remote? PiP is literally 20 years old, how is this not possible?

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Like that other poster said it is possible but no like it used to be. When the cable signal was analog you could place a 2 port cable splitter behind your TV. The splitter would connect to both the A and B turner which would allow PiP. 

Now with HDTV and digital cable you would still use the 2 port splitter and it would connect to first cable box>HDMI to TV and other feed would go to the coax input of the TV. While on HDMI input you would be able to see the TV input in the PiP. But it would be limited to local channels. 

If you wanted PiP with all channels you would need 2 cable boxes one connected to HDMI and other connected to TV input. The issue with FiOS that all the cable boxes use the same remote so you would need an alternate remote control option for the second box. 

0 Likes
danivanov
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's crazy that analog could do it, but not digital.

Man, HDCP and all these content protection stuff is gonna keep sending  people to pirating.

Anyways, so you're saying a coax connection would still give local channels? is this mediated by fios? (ie. if i used coax a non-fios house, would I still get locals?)

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@danivanov wrote:

That's crazy that analog could do it, but not digital.

Man, HDCP and all these content protection stuff is gonna keep sending  people to pirating.

Anyways, so you're saying a coax connection would still give local channels? is this mediated by fios? (ie. if i used coax a non-fios house, would I still get locals?)

No. You have to be at least subscribed to Local Digital from Verizon. If there is no service at the house the ONT will not be outputting any RF.

Also the TV that you plan to use will need to have a built in QAM tuner. Older tube TVs and even some older HDTVs won't have a QAM tuner.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

Or you could use an OTA antenna on the TV, and your current hookup and again use the TVs internal PIP to watch both at the same time.

0 Likes