Re: Follow-up on FIOS Picture Quality in HD - 11-24-12
tns
Master - Level 2

@thehonesttruth wrote:

The sharpest setting on the JVC  tv has remained unchanged from DISH to FIOS, so this constant should have no impact on what FIOS is transmitting. Again, much sharper and clear with DISH. Receiving a replacement receiver so will swap and see what happens.

Don't assume that the sharpness settings don't effect different input signals.  Particularly since last I checked DISH was sending a lower number of pixels (1440) then fios.  Try lower your setting and see if the picture improves.  With my samsung on 50 the picture for a high quality signal from a blu-ray actually looks awful.  But lowered the picture is spectacular.

0 Likes
thehonesttruth
Enthusiast - Level 2

I changed my JVC's sharpness setting from 30 down to 15. The picture quality with FIOS did not improve, it became softer losing more clarity and sharpness. Believe you me, I want FIOS to work but the sharpness and level of detail with DISH was a 10. With FIOS, it's about a 7: close but to the discriminating viewer, you can tell the difference.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Well it was worth a try.

Still cannot think why your picture quality is not as good as Dish.  Bad cables somewhere, bad STB/DVR, bad ONT.

0 Likes
thehonesttruth
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried. After hooking up replacement receiver - same quality. Tech came out and ran a cable directly from FIOS box to receiver - same db rating of 26, so this eliminated DISH cable and multiple splitters being used impacting quality. Will be going back to DISH. Regardless of the great bundled deal with FIOS, if the quality is not there not worth it.

Re: Picture Quality in HD
dex4
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi Molly,

Have you resolved this issue? I am having the same problems after switching over from Time Warner Cable.

Even after switching cables, stb and tv adjustments, and a technician coming over, nothing has changed.

The usual channels that we watch on TWC are significantly better compared to what we see now with Fios so I dont think it's an issue with the program not filmed in HD. 

I've noticed that switching between 720p and 1080i on the STB dont seem to make a difference on my 1080i capable Samsung TV.

Have you resolved this issue?

Thanks.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dex wrote:

Hi Molly,

Have you resolved this issue? I am having the same problems after switching over from Time Warner Cable.

Even after switching cables, stb and tv adjustments, and a technician coming over, nothing has changed.

The usual channels that we watch on TWC are significantly better compared to what we see now with Fios so I dont think it's an issue with the program not filmed in HD. 

I've noticed that switching between 720p and 1080i on the STB dont seem to make a difference on my 1080i capable Samsung TV.

Have you resolved this issue?

Thanks.

you are in a thread that was nearly two years old.  Open a new thread.  And in it give some details about your setup.  WHat STB, TV model, type of conneciton (hdmi?), and channels you are testing.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes
ggoldman_VZ
VZ Employee Emeritus

We have launched a new Self Service Troubleshooter Flow this weekend:

Fix FiOS TV Picture Problems:

https://www.verizon.com/ForYourHome/VZRepair/vziha/Servicecad.aspx?ihaweb=FIX_PIC

Please let me know if you have any questions!

- Greg

0 Likes