Re: Poor Picture Quality on Quantum TV
jdemo721
Enthusiast - Level 2

When i switched to the newer FIOS TV One boxes a little over a year ago i did see a noticeably better quality in regards to the picture. The blacks had considerably less of the shadow  effects to them. From time to time i do notice the some shadows are some of the really dark black scenes but no where near what it once was. Keep in mind i literally had every piece of fios equipment changed in my house. Fiber cable  from pole to house, new ONT, cable from ONT to router, cable from Router/ONT to main VMS box and all splitters and cables in attic.

freshjs_23
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yea Fios TV One fixed all my picture quality issues which means the VMS1100 was the issue this whole time. 

RG625
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the quick response. We just got Fios installed a  little over a year ago and all wiring is new. The picture looks ok, but the posterization (color compression) when motion slows or is still looks unrealistic. I'm wondering if upgrading the Fios One is worth it only to improve these issues, otherwise, we can't see upgrading to still watch 1080i channels since we don't use the STB streaming apps.

freshjs_23  EDIT:  I didn't see your post until after I posted this one. Thank you!

RG625
Enthusiast - Level 3

I forgot to ask...

You guys established the video quality is better on the VMS4100 STBs in terms of the issues discussed here.

But do you guys have the VMS4100 video setting set to to 2160p where the STB actually does the upscaling?

Suppose one wants the video setting on 1080i to let the TV to the upscaling? Can I expect the same improvement in picture quality over the VMS1100?? 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RG625 wrote:

I forgot to ask...

You guys established the video quality is better on the VMS4100 STBs in terms of the issues discussed here.

But do you guys have the VMS4100 video setting set to to 2160p where the STB actually does the upscaling?

Suppose one wants the video setting on 1080i to let the TV to the upscaling? Can I expect the same improvement in picture quality over the VMS1100?? 

Tough call as I had the 7200 boxes and skipped the 1100. It was an improvement over the 7200 in PQ, and as far as scaling goes it isn't too bad either. It seems to apply some enhancement processing the earlier boxes didn't have. Still the same signal coming in, so if you dont like it you could go back to the 1100. Also the scaling question is greatly affected by the TV you are using. Some may be better, others worse.

RG625
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks so much clem53