Poor Picture Quality
JaySauvignon
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Samsung Q70A tv that looked amazing the 1st week I had Fios installed. Soon after, I received a no video/red light on my box and had technicians return and adjust the signal. Ever since then, the picture quality has been subpar, on most of my channels. A 3rd pair of techs returned and went through every imaginable setting on the STB/TV but no resolution (pun intended). Has anyone else come across a similar issue or have any advice on how to remedy this situation?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Poor Picture Quality
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@JaySauvignon wrote:

The only other box is the mini which seems to be working fine with a Samsung 2018 model. The current box with the issue is the main STB (not sure if that is the VMS unit you’re referring to). I’m currently using a Monster 4K HDR cable but can’t confirm if it’s 2.1 compatible. Following the instructions provided, I do notice a difference in the picture. I also notice it tends to go in and out depending on the program and channel (ie. news broadcasts). I would assume that is due to their signal output? I believe my tv also has the 4k upscaling feature.  Would that cause any conflict with the content being shown? I’m not opposed to a total reset of the box (which is a new box provided by the tech’s 3rd visit). My only concern is, will this revert to the initial issue that caused the “No video/Red Light? Or does that box have no relation to the other? Sorry for all the question. I’m new to Fios and Spectrum was much simpler. 

By setting the Video Format to 2160p in the Fios box, you are making the Fios box do the upscaling your TV needs to display a picture in 4K. If you set the Fios box to 1080, the TV uses it's built in upscaler to create an image. The downside to that is when watching real 4K content from the Fios box, it will only be 1080p. Some TVs have better upscalers than the Fios box and this may be one of them. Except for streaming channels and the two 4K channels ALL the programming on the Fios system are in 1080i or 720P, depending on the channel.  As far as different channels looking differently that is perfectly normal, just part of the lax broadcast standards in the USA. Check the mini's settings and see if they match the main Fios box (VMS). If they do, then you are probably getting the best out of the two boxes. We could go into the service menu and check some settings there. Your settings should be as it shows here: 

View solution in original post

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@JaySauvignon wrote:

I have a Samsung Q70A tv that looked amazing the 1st week I had Fios installed. Soon after, I received a no video/red light on my box and had technicians return and adjust the signal. Ever since then, the picture quality has been subpar, on most of my channels. A 3rd pair of techs returned and went through every imaginable setting on the STB/TV but no resolution (pun intended). Has anyone else come across a similar issue or have any advice on how to remedy this situation?

Check here first and set the resolution to 2160P: Main Menu > Settings > Audio & Video > Video Settings>Video Format. Also check here and make sure HDR is disabled unless you are watching HDR content if you are looking at a mini box: Main Menu > Settings > Audio & Video > Video Settings > HDR Setting. Also look at the TV's display setting and make sure enhanced, or whatever Samsung calls extended range is enabled on the input the Fios box is hooked up to. If none of that helps we'll have to go into the service menu and check a few things. Don't forget to reboot the box after making changes. Also make sure you are watching channels over #500 or you are looking at SD programming.

JaySauvignon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much for your response clem53, it’s greatly appreciated. I went through the steps and notice a slight difference. However, now the picture seems slightly blurred rather than a sharp focused clarity. It’s definitely a step in the right direction but definitely not what I experienced when initially installed. I’d like to add, this only occurs when watching tv and never during streaming channels. 

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@JaySauvignon wrote:

Thank you so much for your response clem53, it’s greatly appreciated. I went through the steps and notice a slight difference. However, now the picture seems slightly blurred rather than a sharp focused clarity. It’s definitely a step in the right direction but definitely not what I experienced when initially installed. I’d like to add, this only occurs when watching tv and never during streaming channels. 

Is the problem with a mini or a VMS unit? Can you swap out that box for another one in the house and see what happens? Are you using a high-speed certified HDMI cable?  You could try this too: Main Menu > Customer Support > Top Support Tools > Fix FiOS TV Issues. Also try this: Main Menu > Customer Support > Top Support Tools>4K Troubleshooter. Also look at the TV and make sure it says it is receiving a 4K signal from the Fios box after setting the box to 2160P. You could also try a total reset of the box, but it is a pain, as you'll have to re-pair your remote after, and you'll loose all your settings.

First put your remote into IR mode (hold play/pause and the 0 button for 3 seconds)

Next, unplug the VMS from power, plug it back in and immediately start spamming the menu button over and over until the SECOND light on the VMS turns GREEN, lastly press the 0 button on the remote

If none of this works, you may want to get a new box from Verizon.

JaySauvignon
Enthusiast - Level 2

The only other box is the mini which seems to be working fine with a Samsung 2018 model. The current box with the issue is the main STB (not sure if that is the VMS unit you’re referring to). I’m currently using a Monster 4K HDR cable but can’t confirm if it’s 2.1 compatible. Following the instructions provided, I do notice a difference in the picture. I also notice it tends to go in and out depending on the program and channel (ie. news broadcasts). I would assume that is due to their signal output? I believe my tv also has the 4k upscaling feature.  Would that cause any conflict with the content being shown? I’m not opposed to a total reset of the box (which is a new box provided by the tech’s 3rd visit). My only concern is, will this revert to the initial issue that caused the “No video/Red Light? Or does that box have no relation to the other? Sorry for all the question. I’m new to Fios and Spectrum was much simpler. 

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@JaySauvignon wrote:

By setting the Video Format to 2160p in the Fios box, you are making the Fios box do the upscaling your TV needs to display a picture in 4K. If you set the Fios box to 1080, the TV uses it's built in upscaler to create an image. The downside to that is when watching real 4K content from the Fios box, it will only be 1080p. Some TVs have better upscalers than the Fios box and this may be one of them. Except for streaming channels and the two 4K channels ALL the programming on the Fios system are in 1080i or 720P, depending on the channel.  As far as different channels looking differently that is perfectly normal, just part of the lax broadcast standards in the USA. Check the mini's settings and see if they match the main Fios box (VMS). If they do, then you are probably getting the best out of the two boxes. We could go into the service menu and check some settings there. Your settings should be as it shows here: 

JaySauvignon
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think I’ll stick with the current quality from your previous instructions and build up the courage to tackle the service menu as I become more familiar with Fios (and what I’m doing). 

Thanks again for all your help, it’s greatly appreciated! Take care and stay safe! 

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@JaySauvignon wrote:

I think I’ll stick with the current quality from your previous instructions and build up the courage to tackle the service menu as I become more familiar with Fios (and what I’m doing). 

Thanks again for all your help, it’s greatly appreciated! Take care and stay safe! 

No problem, just post if you need more help.