Problem with NFL Network Surround Audio
SantaOG160
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi,

Except for the first game of the season, NFL Network is not being sent to my Motorola HD QUIP 71001 in Dolly Surround sound. It is connected to my Kenwood receiver via optical cable. All the other channels on FiOS behave correctly, but it seems like for some reason V* is not broadcasting the games in surround. Meanwhile Verizon is broadcasting NFL Red Zone games in surround.

Is there any compelling reason why Verizon is doing this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Problem with NFL Network Surround Audio
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

According to other posts, the NFL Network (HD) is not sending full surround (Dobly 5.1) but only encoding at Dolby 2.0.  AFAIK Verizon only passes on what it is fed from the source network (with the exception of some of the premium HD channels which are supplied in MPEG-4 and have to be transcoded to MPEG-2).

View solution in original post

Keyboards
Master - Level 3

According to other posts, the NFL Network (HD) is not sending full surround (Dobly 5.1) but only encoding at Dolby 2.0.  AFAIK Verizon only passes on what it is fed from the source network (with the exception of some of the premium HD channels which are supplied in MPEG-4 and have to be transcoded to MPEG-2).

SantaOG160
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the info. That really stinks. I think we should pepper the NFL with complaints about that situation. Dolby 2.0 Surround is so 1985. How could the NFL be so far behind the rest of the Networks carrying their games?

0 Likes