Problems with new HD STB?
ChrisLoschen

Hi all,

I've just swapped out an SD STB and put in a new Motorola HD STB. I spent an hour or so on the phone with support getting the box properly associated with my account, but I'm now getting the programming coming in ok.

However, I have a couple of problems I'd like to get fixed:

1. On my SD STB, I could choose to show only my favorites when I display the guide. That's especially needed with the new box because there are so many channels to choose from, and so many of them are duplicates (both an SD channel and an HD channel, for example). But on the new HD box, I'm not seeing this take effect. I'll choose to show only my favorites, and it will change on that view of the guide, but the next time I bring up the guide, it's showing all the channels again. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

2. When I pull up the widgets, most of them show up as a blank rectangle. I can see content in a few of them: traffic, Hot on Demand, Hot on TV, Horoscopes, Sports Headlines. All the rest don't show up at all. I wanted to set up Internet Radio so that I could stream out to my audio system, but I don't see that as an option. It was available as an option on the old box, but when I tried to set it up, it said it required an HD box. Now I have the HD box, but still can't set it up. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help! If the answer is that I need to call Verizon support again, that's ok, but I figured if I could solve it myself, I'd try that first.

Best,

Chris

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Problems with new HD STB?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

blank widgets usually means that the stb needs to be rebooted. That may fix the favorites too.  Go to menu-->help-->reboot stb. That should hopefully take care of it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

blank widgets usually means that the stb needs to be rebooted. That may fix the favorites too.  Go to menu-->help-->reboot stb. That should hopefully take care of it.

0 Likes
ChrisLoschen

Hooray! That took care of the blank widgets. Thanks.

I'm still not seeing the guide save my settings to only see my favorites, but maybe I'm forgetting how to do that. Could you remind me?

Thanks again,

Chris

0 Likes
theroperd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Chris,

Try going to Menu > Settings > Favorite Channels > Favorites Button.

There you will have two choices for the Favorites Button:

(1) Show Favorite Listings

(2) Toggle Flip by Favorites

Choosing the second option will allow you to use the Favorites Button to "Flip" from All Channels to Favorites 1 and, if any have been programmed, to Favorites 2.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

As far as I know, if you are in the program guide, If you press the left arrow button, it will give you a menu of options from all channels to favorites 2. I just went in, selected favorites 1 and now each time I hit guide, the favorites pop up.

0 Likes
ChrisLoschen

Thanks both. I've done both those things, and flipping by channels is honoring my setting. I can go to a channel and hit channel up and it will skip to the next higher channel that I've programmed as a favorite. So that part is working.

It's the other part that still isn't working, which is having the guide automatically come up with just my favorites. I can change the guide options as you suggested and that does change the guide for that particular time, but after I hit exit and bring the guide back up again, my settings aren't retained and I'm seeing all the channels again. I could just set the option again every time I bring the guide up, but that's a pain in the rear... Besides, this is working as I expected on my SD box.

Well, maybe it's time for me to call support on it.

Yours,

Chris

0 Likes
ChrisLoschen

I just discovered a solution or workaround or whatever you want to call it.

What I was doing was using the Guide button, and that's what kept losing my Favorites choice.

However, when I click the Favorites button on the remote instead, that does pull up the guide and only the favorites on the guide, so that's what I wanted. I guess that'll work for me.

On to setting something else up!

Thanks again for your help.

Best,

Chris

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Chris, you need to set the Favorites Button in the Menu to Toggle Flip by Favorites. The Guide button will then display whatever list was last selected by the Favorites button (full guide, favorites 1, or favorites 2) and the Favorites button itself will then toggle through the lists rather than displaying a list.

Poorly worded and documented I think, but I believe if you do that all will work like you want.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
ChrisLoschen

Thanks Justin. That was my understanding of how it was supposed to work (though I did learn something about what happens when you hit the Favorites button more than once). Unfortunately, in my case, no matter how I have the Favorites button set, the Guide button always pulls up the "All Channels" guide, not the favorites. I can click the Favorites button once the guide is up, or I can go to guide optons and choose the favorites: both of those will change the guide to that list. But I want Guide to pull up the favorites list until I tell it otherwise (Ithe way it works on my SD box).

By the way, after I rebooted the STB yesterday, I stopped getting Dolby Digital. I just rebooted the STB again and I'm getting DD again. Odd... I'm not worrying about it since it's working now.

Best,

Chris

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Chris,

Well, that is strange. When I have the Favorites button set to Toggle Flip by Favorites, and I use the Favorites button to select the list I want, then hitting the Guide button most definitely does give me the list that I am currently toggled to (wish I could come up with better words for this!). When I have the Favorites button set to Show Favorite Listings then hitting the Guide button does always give me all channels, and hitting the Favorites button gives me whatever list I last set the Favorites button to.

Now,  interestingly enough, looking into your issue has identified a new one for me that I don't understand. I normally use only my Favorite 1 list that contains all of the channels I actually care about. Then when there is a special free preview or something, I program those channels into Favorite 2 for the length of the preview, then delete all of the channels from Favorite 2 when the preview is over. There is an Epix free preview on right now, so I have programmed that channel into Favorite 2. And when I view via the Menu or the Guide the channels in Favorite 2, that is the only channel there. BUT, when I use the Favorites button to switch to using the Favorite 2 list, it doesn't do it, it selects all channels and the little tag at the right side of the channel popup does not display which list is being used. Nor does it display the name of the list when flipping all channels, but it does when flipping Favorite 1. This all worked correctly for years, but suddenly now doesn't. Have used In-Home Agent to reboot the box (QIP6416 DVR), have pulled the electric plug to reboot the box, no fix. Have tried changing the Favorites button setting back and forth, no fix.

So, anybody else see this and/or have a solution?

Keller, TX 76248 

0 Likes