QIP 6416-2 vs QIP7100 1
RazerWolf

I've been using the QIP7100 1 for over a year now, and recently Verizon has offered me DVR free for a few months, and I received a QIP 6416-2 on my doorstep a few days ago. Reading about the differences between them, it seems they're mostly equivalent, although the QIP7100 1 supports MPEG-4 decoding.

Is it worth "downgrading" to the QIP6416-2 for DVR? Maybe a different/better model should be requested?

0 Likes
Re: QIP 6416-2 vs QIP7100 1
Hubrisnxs
Legend

quality of picture wise and sound wise, you won't have any issue with the 6416 model, as the mpeg 4 is future use stuff.  

The only detriment you have with the 6416 is with the new img 1.9.

the new img 1.9 will have an HD guide that the 6416 will not be able to take advantage of, and it will have eSATA support for external 1 tb hard drives, where the 6416 won't have that capability.

if that's important to you, then you may want to pursue the 7216 model or 7232 models.

You can do that easily by just placing yourself on the waiting list by signing in at verizon.com/fiostvcentral and then logging in and going to TV and then MY STB and then on the right hand side you'll see an ad about "do you want more from your DVR"

if you call in you won't have much ability to request a different model, the over the phone support rep's can not request specific model STB's at all.  they can just check mark hd or non hd,  dvr or non dvr, and then that is the extent of what they can do.

so noone over the phone can garuntee what model cable box you get.  

0 Likes
RazerWolf

Thanks for the info, I signed up for the DVR upgrade. In terms of the 6416 vs my current 7100, it seems like what you're saying is that they're both equivalent, so I might as well "upgrade" to the 6416 for now so I can get some kind of DVR (7100 has nothing).

There wouldn't be any negatives to swapping? Or would the 7100 also support img 1.9?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
The 7100 will support 1.9 but it will never do dvr so if you upgrade you most likely will get the 7216 or 7232. So I would upgrade if your itching for a dvr

They are the best thing since sliced bread. 🙂
0 Likes
RazerWolf

Well I assume I'd need to have some kind of DVR (i.e. 6416-2) before I could upgrade to the new models that aren't out yet. Any ETA on them? I don't want to give up 1.9 (even if it's temporary, who knows how long it'll take those new models to surface), but it may not be a big deal.

I guess the lesser of two evils is swapping to the 6416-2 for now, and then crossing my fingers that the upgraded boxes come soon...

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@RazerWolf wrote:

Well I assume I'd need to have some kind of DVR (i.e. 6416-2) before I could upgrade to the new models that aren't out yet. Any ETA on them? I don't want to give up 1.9 (even if it's temporary, who knows how long it'll take those new models to surface), but it may not be a big deal.

I guess the lesser of two evils is swapping to the 6416-2 for now, and then crossing my fingers that the upgraded boxes come soon...

7216s have been around for years and the 7232 is now becoming the norm (at least for new installs).  So I'm not sure what you are saying about "models that aren't out yet".

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

that's right, the 7216 is a readily available model, and the 7232 are in circulation, and most people get them, you should at least get a 7216 though I would think.

0 Likes