Quantum DVR and sound output
rvonder1

Question to anyone that has upgraded to one of the new Quantum high-capacity multi-room DVRs: Do these boxes share the same problem where there's no sound via the RF output unless any HDMI-connected TV is powered on? I'd gladly do the upgrade if I knew it would solve this frustrating problem!

0 Likes
Re: Quantum DVR and sound output
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hi rvonder,

The Quantum DVR's don't actually have an RF output so this won't be an issue.

Thanks,

CJ

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

While it's true that the Arris VMS 1100 DVR set-top box does not have an RF output, the Quantum non-DVR STB's do and they don't have the problem of no audio.

I ran an experiement to confirm the problem doesn't exist with the Arris IPC 1100 boxes.  You can see details in this thread:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/Getting-sound-on-the-patio/td-p/790233

0 Likes
rvonder1

It's unfortunate that the Quantum DVRs have no RF out, since that's the unit I'd have in the family room and would want to be able to view simultaneously on an older SD set in the kitchen via coax.  Weird that Arris would include an RF out on the non-DVR boxes, but not on the DVR box.

The other option would be to connect an inexpensive RF modulator to the DVR, which would then send RF out over coax. Does the Arris DVR have standard composite video & L/R audio available via RCA jacks, in addition to HDMI? That's what would be needed to feed most RF modulators.  (It's a shame that trusty old Radio Shack has died and gone away, because that was about the only remaining brick-and-mortar store that carried essential little gadgets like RF amps, modulators, etc. There's always the higher-end units from manufacturers like ChannelMaster, but they're much more expensive and are probably overkill for this purpose.)

Thanks...

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Yes, the Arris VMS 1100 DVR has composite outputs.  You can see the manual for that STB here:

http://www.verizon.com/cs/groups/public/documents/adacct/vms1100_install_ops_manual-s.pdf

I'm also attaching a .pdf file with page 16 from that manual which shows the outputs available.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If I remember correctly, the 72XX model DVRs didn't have RF out either.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I couldn't remember, CRob, but I found this:

and this:

Looks like it did have an RF output although that doesn't change the fact that the newer Quantum DVR boxes do not.

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes