Quantum Media Server Loses Saved Shows and Reboots
jdb_astro
Enthusiast - Level 2

Back in Jan-2015, I upgraded to the Quantum service with one media server and two clients.  Everything worked generally fine until a week and a half ago.  Suddently, all saved shows on the DVR mysteriously vanished, and the media server went into a re-boot frenzy for about a half an hour.

So, I ordered a replacement, installed it, everything was fine for a week, and yesterday, THIS media server lost all saved shows and now has random re-boots multiple times per day.

Waiting for a 3rd media server to show up tomorrow.

In the mean time, the only way to watch TV is to view it on one of the client boxes since the server has super slow response to any remote action.  During a reboot, the clients provide NO TV service.

I was told by a tech that there is a 'bug' in the system right now.  This is a VERY SERIOUS BUG.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Quantum Media Server Loses Saved Shows and Reboots
jdb_astro
Enthusiast - Level 2

Called tech support and they said that my service had been disabled because a new Quantum media server was due to arrive on the same day.

Got the new server (3rd in two weeks) on Thu.  So far, Quantum TV service is functioning properly including DVR, Guide, client boxes, etc.

Hope this lasts for a long time now.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jdb_astro
Enthusiast - Level 2

So today, Thu, I have NO channels available even through the Quantum client boxes.  That means the Quantum server, which does reboot, must be pretty much dead.  Currently paying for the top tier Fios service, but getting Zero channels.  That replacement box can't arrive soon enough.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Clients should revert back to equivalent of FIOS app.

Try powering VMS off and see if they begin getting service.

If not, you might have a bigger issue.

0 Likes
jdb_astro
Enthusiast - Level 2

Called tech support and they said that my service had been disabled because a new Quantum media server was due to arrive on the same day.

Got the new server (3rd in two weeks) on Thu.  So far, Quantum TV service is functioning properly including DVR, Guide, client boxes, etc.

Hope this lasts for a long time now.

0 Likes
douglasz

Hello All;

Today my Quantum DVR Crashed (AGAIN) and upon reboot all the shows are still listed but they can’t be viewed. Looking at the DVR's available space after the most recent incident the allocated space is 1%, which should have been 75% or so.  New recordings can be viewed.  So what happened? AGAIN all shows were lost after the Box hung displaying a still screen of what was playing and rebooted. (Crash-Reboot)

On another previous occasion when we had DVR related issues/box crashes I could not record anything and received an error indicating there was no available space. I also could not watch any shows listed in the menu. Trying to delete some shows I received an error message that there was no space available (??? Odd) yet the space  was 100% free, once again after a crash. In this case I could not record anything at all.  A slightly different symptom.

In BOTH cases the issue started when the internal disk was near capacity and in both cases all shows were lost.

I believe after the Set Top Box crashes from what I think is a disk error during the next reboot the hard drive is formatted as part of error recovery, this has to be a bug since many folks are reporting the issue.  I suspect the trigger may be read/write errors on the drive and the method of recovery scripted into the OS of the box is to format the disk, which is NOT a good idea since everything is lost and the menu lists are not cleared. This leaves the DVR in a strange state requiring a system reset to clear up the menu items no longer available.

Another Box was made available by Verizon for me ty try.

I never had any issue with non-Quantum products, at all. 

I will see if I have better luck with the replacement but not happy with the DVR at all.

SO:  Lost your shows, replace the Box.

0 Likes
NOQuantum

SOOO  They sold you on a service and shipped you a product with a known bug  Shady at best.

0 Likes