Quantum TV - I'm having problems. Are you?
Tomel

Have had FiOS since 2008. Switched to Quantum TV Service about 2 months ago. For the first time, I am having continuous and ongoing problems. Love being able to record multiple programs simultaneously. Love Quantum when it's working.  However, the problems are becoming intolerable. Here's my list. What's yours?

1. Very slow response to remote command to change channels

2. Very slow response to remote up or down command in menus

3. Slow or no response when hitting enter key at times

4. Recorded program does not start immediately  (black screen for maybe 10 -20 secons)

5. Pixelation from very extreme on selected channels (unwatchable) to annoying on some other channels (Note that most channels are fine - no pixelation). This problem occured maybe once or twice in my years with FiOS prior to the Quantum service and then only for an instant and never serious or ongoing.

Items #1-4 above are a known problem (based on internet search) and can be temporarily resolved by unplugging the Server/Client and also disconnecting the coax lead. Problem gradually gets worse after this fix which must be done a couple of times a week  (Very inconvenient requiring the moving of equipment in order to reach the connections). The pixelation is a more recent problem that to date doesn't seem to be reported widely on the FiOS forums.

After my long-standing highly satisfied experience with FiOS, I find this disappointing. I'd like to see Verizon own up to the growing pains with Quantum and tell us what's being done to resolve them. I think all of us know that problems can occur with a new service. What we can't tolerate is being left in the dark and having to deal with problems one on one as if we're the only one out there that's having a problem. Verizon, please take a hard look at the very negative PR that Comcast has received recently. Don't be next.

0 Likes
Re: Quantum TV - I'm having problems. Are you?
dogbrain
Contributor - Level 1

I have been successfull in fixing 1-4 by powering the Quantum STB off for a few minutes and restarting. 

Have yet to time the duration of this fix - days - weeks?

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

There is a firmware update for Quantum rolling out over the next few weeks. It should be done by the end of the month.

0 Likes
Summary of Quantum Problems
sefiro
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just installed Quantum about 3 weeks ago along with 2 remote units.  Still have old DVR installed as well to drain down old shows stored on the DVR.  Problems noted with Quantum not found on old DVR

- Selecting a DVR'd program to playback takes 20 seconds to load (I had powered down the Quantum DVR 3 ttimes thinking that the DVR had locked up)

- Chaptering long shows cuts off at 1:30.  Short shows are chaptered at less than 10 minute intervals while longer shows use a max of 10 minute intervals.  The old DVR would use >10 minute chapter lengths for longer shows.  It appears both DVR's had a maximum chapter number per recorded show but the new Quantum is unable to calculate what the chapter length should be for any show longer than 90 mintues that would provde what appears to be 9 or 10 chapter intervals.

- Choosing to record a show via menu is relatively easy however, when finally pressing/selecting the record button locks up the device for 20-30 seconds.  Is it possible that this action is being recorded at corporate and thus the long response time - if so - why is Verizon not telling us they are tracking this level.  If so - why can't this be done offline after the master device has been updated

- device (Especially the remote DVR's) are often not responsive to remote control.  Have seen subsecond-second delays to button presses.  Have also seen numerous overlery responsive to a button (i.e. press down button quickly and the selection goes down 2-3 selections)

- some menu navigation has resulted in very long response times especially when selecting options like searching for stuff that requies access to corporate.  This would resultt in 20-30 second delays where the DVR is not responsive (especially annoying when waatching a show and can't get back  to show when one hear's something critical on the show).  Have had to powerdown the DVR to get control back

- I hate the new menu format but fortunately it only showed up on the old DVR.  It has not shown up on the Quantum.  Is it possible Verizon has slowed down the rollout to fix the various problems (see my other post),

- where is the esata support for additional drive.  This was introduced into the old system so should have shown up on Quantum as service already provided in the past.  I'm paying 10/mo extra so I should get everything I had before plus the additional channely recording ability..

0 Likes
Re: Summary of Quantum Problems
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

The boxes are not suppose to be mixed.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have been told that Verizon has no curent plans to add ESATA support to Quantum.

They feel that Quantum storage is on par with other vendors.

0 Likes
AllanC2

For the past few weeks, about every 10th program I record in HD blanks out somewhere in the middle, as does the channel I'm recording from. Resetting the box brings back the channel.

I'm on the second box since I upgraded to Quantum TV - after FIOS technicians tried to cure it at their end but failed.

FIOS used to be wonderful, but I'm not going to live with this kind of performance, now, for the huge amount I'm spending (over $240) per month.

I guess I'll wait for this firmware fix, but if that doesn't fix it, I'll be on DirectTV.

0 Likes
sefiro
Enthusiast - Level 3

The boxes run on different wavelengths (as confirmed by Verizon Technical Support).  This allows for overlap of the two systems

0 Likes
sefiro
Enthusiast - Level 3

One other UI issues.  the "Last" button on the old system allowed for switching between two channels or between a DVR playback and another channel.  The Quantum system does not switch back to the DVR playback,

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@sefiro wrote:

The boxes run on different wavelengths (as confirmed by Verizon Technical Support).  This allows for overlap of the two systems

Doesn't match other documents.  The ONT is suppose to provision to support one or the other not both.

0 Likes