Raising Prices again for renting set top boxes - Why not let us buy these boxes?
bosslett
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been at odds with Verizon for over 6 years to let me purchase my set top boxes but no luck with that. The rental prices for these boxes keeps going up and just puts more money into the Verizon bank account. It does not help quality of service as Verizon would have you believe. I tried to talk to some Verizon customer service reps about this but they give you the same corporate **bleep** about how this is better for me. It's amazing how Verizon knows what better for me sound just like the US goverment. Just one simple question here for you Verizon executives, Why will you not sell the set top boxes? Please do not tell me it's better for me to rent the boxes because it gives me insurance against any defects.

0 Likes
Re: Raising Prices again for renting set top boxes - Why not let us buy these boxes?
jonjones1
Legend

NO provider lets you purchase set top boxes bevause its a great revenue producer.

however you could get cable cards which are cheaper and buy a tivo etc. which will eventually reduce your costs.

you could just get internet only and go to a streaming service and that will reduce your expenses by almost 80% so see if that will assist. The taxes and surcharges are on tv and phone services and not internet. Verizon may add a bogus surcharge like in NY but you save hundreds a year. No taxes or surcharges, no rental fees so savings galore.

0 Likes
Re: Raising Prices again for renting set top boxes - Why not let us buy these boxes?
bosslett
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is it possible to hook up an iPad and use that as a cable box and just download the FIOS app? Can you get all the channels with that iPad set up, that you get with the set top box? 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@bosslett wrote:

Is it possible to hook up an iPad and use that as a cable box and just download the FIOS app? Can you get all the channels with that iPad set up, that you get with the set top box? 

It is? I have ipads and i know of only beaming to a television to mirror what is on my ipad and cell phone. I know of no connection even with the fios app that allows it to actually connect to other devices.

and most programs are not on the fios app. 

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

You can definitely beam from the Fios TV app to your TV if you have a chromecast or similar built into TV. Or if you buy a lightening to hdmi converter you can go wired. Or if you have a laptop with HDMI out you can go wired, or any device that has the ability to run the Fios TV app and has an adaptable output. You just go to the guide in the app, choose the  show and there you go.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@clem53 wrote:

You can definitely beam from the Fios TV app to your TV if you have a chromecast or similar built into TV. Or if you buy a lightening to hdmi converter you can go wired. Or if you have a laptop with HDMI out you can go wired, or any device that has the ability to run the Fios TV app and has an adaptable output. You just go to the guide in the app, choose the  show and there you go.

Again, via beaming. When the original poster commented on the use of the fios app with an ipad that was the answer since that is how many people beam to the devices you mentioned and via apple tv.  I have not read of any real success with the lighting connections and ipads with the fios app. Additionally if you do a google search or try searching this forum you will find the fios app is not showing all programming. Granted many users are saying they cannot see programming outside their own home.

my streaming services work any place i go. Google tv or hulu or britbox and acorn tv all show the programming. Since they are on my apple tv and roku devices beaming is not required.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

I

@jonjones wrote:

@clem53 wrote:

Again, via beaming. When the original poster commented on the use of the fios app with an ipad that was the answer since that is how many people beam to the devices you mentioned and via apple tv.  I have not read of any real success with the lighting connections and ipads with the fios app. Additionally if you do a google search or try searching this forum you will find the fios app is not showing all programming. Granted many users are saying they cannot see programming outside their own home.

my streaming services work any place i go. Google tv or hulu or britbox and acorn tv all show the programming. Since they are on my apple tv and roku devices beaming is not required.

I don't know where you are looking, but if I go to the Fios TV app, go to the guide, I can watch any channel I pay for live. Maybe not everything is available from on- demand, but live TV is available.  I have used lightning to HDMI adaptors and they worked fine for me. I also use a Displayport to HDMI adaptor and it works fine too.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

@clem53 wrote:

Be careful. At one time, the app did not support a wired connection from device to TV. Designed to not allow you to replace stb with a device running FiOS app.

I know some ways you can cast screen to TV.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

This is correct. The app at what i read at my other help forum is iffy at best to show tv programs and that even with beaming. I prefer the streaming services like Hulu and other tv services. They work flawlessly on my ipads, iphones, and apple tvs as well as stand alones.

i never needed to use a hdmi adapter excetera to use my ipads let alone even beam outside of i think i tested it once and it worked.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I find the App quite useful.

I use it all the time when I go to my inlaws.

They have limited cable.

I can cast from my Samsung devices to my roku stick.

Works great.

I have never tried HDMI cable.

If you want to watch linear programming, the FIOS App is sometimes better than apps as they don't always carry what is showing on the cable channel at the same time.

0 Likes