Recurring TV video problem
Ephlat

Problem: no input video signal is getting to the screen. Audio works fine. Same problem on all inputs (S-video, composite video, RF) and from any source STB, DVD, VCR). The tube iteself is OK because the internal TV on-screen menu works fine, so problem is some component in the video signal chain inside the TV. I have had the TV repaired twice already, but the problem has now recurred twice, usually after about a week of it working fine.

This has only started happening since I switched to FIOS (from Cablevision). Also, it never happens while actually watching, only when turning on the system for the FIRST time of the day. Now, perhaps it's just coincidence, but could this be caused by some sort of "surge" that occurs overnight (perhaps only weekly) from the STB through the RF feed on the STB (DVR) connected to the TV? (I don't actually use that input, but it's connected anyway.) Since the STB is "off" overnight, I doubt any signal is transmitted through the video outputs, except that perhaps the RF output is "pass-through" even when the STB is off. This is the only possibility that I could conceive of, other than it's some random ocurrence which causes the same failure weekly.

Any thoughts? The TV repair shop is getting tired of fixing the same problem.

0 Likes