Remote DVR on non Verizon routers?
prisaz
Legend

Has anyone been able to get Remote DVR to work on a non Verizon router?

Verizon states it MUST be their router in a standard not modified origional configuration. Now let me see.

Current configuration I have my STBs getting a Static IP from DHCP based on mac address.

I know my DVR will always have 192.168.0.105 IP.

I know the Verizon router has port triggering enabled that may open ports from the outside. I am not letting that happen. I may open ports to the DVR only.

Does anyone know of the port or ports to forward for this to work?

If I figure it out before anyone else, I may post it here if I can.

0 Likes
Re: Remote DVR on non Verizon routers?
Justin46
Legend

Someone over on dslreports said they did. I have customized my Actiontec to at least some extent, and I was able to get my non-MR DVR activated the other day, all I had to do was go to the website and say I wanted it activated, and about 50 minutes later it was. So I think they are just trying to cover themselves by saying if it doesn't activate then reset the router and it probably will.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
jumpin683
Contributor - Level 1
Can someone please post how to use Remote DVR using the actiontec router as second router?  I can't seem to get this to work.  Works fine when actiontec router is primary.  The DSL report site is like 15 pages long with loads of info.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Well here is what I have gotten so far. I do not use the Verizon router. Primary or modified. Running Actiontec as a bridge for MOCA only. I will attempt to diagnose what ports are being hit from the outside. I may start by doing a search on DSLreports.

Your router needs to be factory reset.
We have detected that your router needs to be factory reset in order to proceed with Remote DVR activation.

You can factory reset by pressing down the reset button (at the back of your router) for 10 seconds. The router will automatically reboot itself. For specific instructions for your router type please refer support

Note: Factory resetting your Verizon router clears all your home networking settings. Click here for more information on restoring the settings after reset.

We apologize for the inconvenience. You will be notified once Activation is re-processed.

After resetting the router, login to FIOS TV Central to resume activation.

Thank you for choosing FiOS TV.
Message Edited by prisaz on 04-19-2009 11:50 AM
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
Well everything I have read at DSLreports indicates that the connection established for remote DVR comes through SSL that is programed into the Actiontec or Verizon supplied router firmware. Looks like Remote DVR order will just sit there or be canceled. If anything changes I will be sure to post. I don't think Verizon would like someone reverse engineering their firmware.
0 Likes
ak46
Enthusiast - Level 3

Im not sure if this will help you but on my Actiontec after I enabled remote DVR a non-removable port forward rule appeared.

Network Address:  192.168.1.100 (the DVR box IP)

Protocol:  UDP Any -> 63145

Remote Host:  Verizon FIOS Service  (It does NOT list an IP or domain name here)

If I dump the config and look for the rule it lists two IP addresses for the mysterious "Verizon FIOS Service".  

198.23.16.95 and 198.23.16.96.

Good luck and let us know if you get it working....

-ak 

0 Likes
jumpin683
Contributor - Level 1

If one review's the text configuration file of the Actiontec router you will see the router does an https to a cpe....verizon.com site.  This is where the SSL VPN is being set up.  I'm not sure if the remote DVR comes through the SSL.  SSL works through my router today because that is how I connect to my job. I have even placed the actiontec and dvr into a DMZ and still nothing.

Not sure what to do next...

0 Likes
JeredW

I recently got a new router from Verizon.  My old one died (power supply, I think).  The new one is an ActionTec MI424WR, just like the old one.  I set it up, got everything connected to the internet, then went about re-entering my port forwards.  And they didn't work.  For 3 days, I was baffled.  Then I noticed this line in my port forward listing:

192.168.1.100   192.168.1.100:63145   Verizon FiOS Service Application - TCP Any -> Any Broadband Connection (Coax) Active

Note that it is sending TCP traffic from "Any" incoming client port directed to "Any" server port to port 63145 on the DVR.  I've seen this is necessary for DVR control, so all well and good, but why is it grabbing traffic intended for Any server port?

It turns out that it's the DVR itself making this entry via uPNP.  When I reset to factory settings and quickly turned off uPNP I was able to configure my port fowards, and they work.  I then turned on uPNP, and some time later that bad port forward appeared.  Fortunately, the port forwards are prioritized by the time they are entered (I assume), because my fowards still work.  New forwards added AFTER this bad entry do NOT work.

So Verizon, fix your DVR!  I tried to report this via tech support, but the agent didn't seem to know of any method to report bugs.  That's shameful.

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

put in a DNS entry and see if it works

On DNS entry screen
• For Hostname type: www36.verizon.com

• For IP address type: 198.23.16.154

0 Likes
JeredW
Techman28 - is your message for me?  If it is, I don't follow.  What would DNS have to do with port forwarding?
0 Likes