Replacement VM1100 Media Server and existing Media Clients can’t connect
REShaman

Long time FiOS client. Recently, the VM1100 Media Server started to crash and reboot. After 5th time, ordered a replacement. VM1100 would not install. Took Tech support over 3 hours just to connect the replacement VM1100. Then assisted with connecting three long time existing HD STB Media Clients, but none of the three Media Clients could connect to the replacement VM1100 via a Quantum Router I paid for. I even updated my Internet service to 150/150. The error message is 7202. Neither the tech support individual (on the phone) nor the advisors to him were able to connect my existing Media Clients. Instead, I was told a in house support was required and the earliest appointment is not until five days despite having Platinum service. I had a flawless working system until the VM1100 Media Server installed years ago started rebooting randomly. Now three out of four HD state of the art Sony HDTVs throughout my home cannot receive cable TV because of the connections issues. 5 days wait. Enough to make reconsider the next contract renewal given I am a long time FiOS customer and all my services including mobile, digital voice, internet, cable TV, landline telephone are Verizon. Platinum service appears to mean little. Feeling extremely put out with three rooms devoid of cable. What has happened to Verizon FiOS claimed Platinum service. Is there an adequate replacement service from another vendor? I am paying high prices for hardware/software that should connect after these models have been allegedly improved but Media client hardware that was working flawlessly can’t connect. An awful experience with Verizon.

0 Likes
Re: Replacement VM1100 Media Server and existing Media Clients can’t connect
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Reboot it. Once it comes back up press OK when prompted on screen. Press the yellow  "A" on your remote. This will show you the status of the activation.  See what the error tells you. Sometimes it will let you continue. 

0 Likes
REShaman

Hello Edg1,

Thank you for your suggestion. However, while what you proposed might work under some conditions, my circumstances required much more, and none of what was required was in my control. For one, what prompted Verizon FiOS to send a replacement Media Server without assigning ownership, in my opinion, causes an experienced customer to become ineffective given one would not know this without the intervention of tech support. Despite having Platinum service, five days were required before a tech support repair person was available. What led to the need for that inperson appointment was the inability for techsupport over the phone to connect four Media Clients after it  took tech support over three (3) hours and the need for input up to tier 3 support just to get the VM1100 Media Server connected. Additionally, though the Media Server did finally connect, techsupport over the phone insisted that the Verizon FiOS router/modem was in order and the inability to connect the Media Clients to the Media Server could not be explained. Seque to five days later and a repair person who arrived and who would NOT give up until he and I sorted the problem out which required that he and a tech support tier one or two over the phone look for something unusual given 3 plus hours and tier 3 could only connect the Media Server, what was finally discovered was as follows. Excuse me for being not entirely transparent with what was actually required as the discovery could only be accomplished on Verizon FiOS's end and which the former techsupport session had not discovered and terminated giving the Verizon FiOS's router modem a clean bill of health. The tech support person over the phone urged to look for something unusual discoverd that the H&M, which I believe stands for HomeNetwork Maintenance had been bounced twice and was missing when the repair person arrived and spent consideable time trouble shooting. To his credit, he went over my splitters and found some iose-fitting cables to one splitter, and one splitter that needed to be replaced as too old for my present configuration. He also discovered using the tools available to both customer and repairman provided in the Menu section that a battery packup was still listed as one part of the present configuration, which it was no longer in use. Whether that contributed is questionable but showed that the configuration had not been listed properly overall. Once the over the phone chat tier techsupport person who only relates to repair persons and NOT customers discovered the H&M was missing, a reconfigured the Verizon FiOS router/modem and the repairman swapped out the Media Server sent to me by Verizon FiOS to replace the original Media Server that was crashing periodically (over five times in a littles less than two weeks) and rebooting itself, the Media Server which was showing a 2202-107 error and when pressing the yellow remote "A" button showed what the error meant that related to the router/modem requiring a factory reset and power cycle, and error 7202-107 for the Media Clients, which referred to the same error explanation, the Media Server connected with the Verizon FiOs router/modem's H&M properly restored with the correct configuration. And once the Media Server connected, the one by one the Media Clients also connected requiring them to be reconfigured, i.e., location name, restoring the settings from the Media Server (or not). SO,

under certain conditions, Edg1's suggestion can be useful. But in my circumstance, as Platinum service customers, I was extremely disappointed with dedicated techsupport that missed the one element that was missing and without correcting it could not restore the system to integrity, despite getting the Media Server to temporarily work then once disconnected would not reconnect. The missing configuration for the Media Server sent as a replacment which when not set to ownership, the customer would never be able to install it, despite the instructions provided with the replacment. And the five day interval despite Platinum service and a house full of equipment to serve myself and wife useable until the in-home appointment. The fact that our repairman was prompted to leave our appointment because he was scheduled for another appointment time as he had runover the time allotted, but he chose not to abandon us. We were advised that the repairman would return later in the day or someone else might show. You can imagine how I felt about that. What does Platinum service really mean? When it was tested, Platinum service is what Verizon FiOS decides it means but not what was promised. And a repairman who would not abandon us and who persevered along with the chat techsupport person to delve deeper and discover a condition that without correction would never have accomplished the connection of my ENTIRE SYSTEM. Thank G-d for the repairman and the techsupport woman who made it happen for us. Extremely disappointed in what we had to go through and how costly our service plan is and promises not kept. We were extremely lucky to get such dedicated repair and techsupport persons the second time around. For that we are grateful.

Best regards to other customers. Kept my post long and detailed should another customer need to know about the H&M condition of their Verizon FiOS router/modem. In reality, our condition is essentially unheard of until it happened to us.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You mention platinum service.

I don't believe Verizon offers different levels of service.

There is for DVR Enhanced and Premium but that allows 6 or 12 tuners.

Not saying what you got was acceptable, just questioning your thought of a higher level of service.

0 Likes
REShaman

Googled Platinum service and found repetitive references to the following: Platinum - 100/100 (or 150/150 for $10 more a month), FiOS Ultimate TV, phone, 24/7 special trained FiOS customer service and receive priorirty, earn double rewards, and a 5th set top box - $266 ($276 with 150/150). It appears that only phone service is given priority, which had not been my last experience. Apparently, the five days I had to wait for a repair person had nothing to do with a priority given to repair service, which doesn't exist. Rather as a Verizon employee referred to off the record, Verizon's willingness to pay over-time when customers inundate their system with requests and when that occurs, customers no-matter what plan they pay for are out of luck given the service is based on availability.

0 Likes