STB turning itself off at night and channels going black
robotprom
Enthusiast - Level 2

After the recent round of changes, my DVR STB turns itself off at night. It didn't have this problem before the updates last week (or earlier this week). I've made sure the standby timer is set to off, but that still doesn't help. This is mainly an issue since we can't program the DVR through the website or iApps if the STB is off.

Another issue that has popped up at the same time is if we're watching a channel for some time, the screen will suddenly go black and I will lose sound. If I move to another channel, and then back to the original channel, the image and sound will return.

I've done the In Home Agent reset and that didn't seem to help either issue. I think they're related to some sleep or auto off function, but I can't find any setting I haven't already changed.

Is there a solution for these, or some option I have discovered to restore it staying on all the time?

Re: STB turning itself off at night and channels going black
tothepoint22
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having this same issue.  I have an additional storage and everytime I need to reset it does not recognize the additional capacity and I need to reset multiple times.  Whatever Verizon did starting around May 16th, they need to fix!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This is so annoying, watching a program then everything goes black. 

0 Likes
geotv
Enthusiast - Level 3

Im having similar issues with the box downloading every couple of hours rendering my remote useless and also if I change the channel it blacks out then has to go through the 5-6 minute boot cycle in order to fix itself. 

0 Likes
bwh1
Contributor - Level 1
I have been having this same problem since the previous update. If you make a change to the series manager, does it lose it when it reboots. Verizon keeps telling me it is a problem with the DVR, but I'm sure it was caused by the update.
0 Likes
tothepoint22
Enthusiast - Level 2

Now I have a larger issue.  My additional capacity is not being recognized by the DVR.  I have "enabled additional storage" multiple time, but it is not working.  Now, I will need to call Verizon for help....exactly what I was trying to avoid....an hour or more on the phone, explaining the issue to several people...ugh!

0 Likes
tothepoint22
Enthusiast - Level 2

Spoke to Verizon customer service.  Their solution:  they can send out a new DVR box which I would need to be home to receive, lose all programs stored on current DVR and denial of any system issues.  Generic answer: issue with power supply of DVR.  (what???) The box worked until whatever they did system wide on May 16th.  In their words: not enough complaints reported about this issue (yet) for their technical people to work on.  Ok.  Now I understand.  Whatever Verizon pushed out to create this issue, they do not want to undo.  Really do not want to lose all programing current saved on DVR, so I will call them at least twice a week after work until they acknowledge the issue and look into it.  Several seperate posts in the community forum "not enough". All I can say is I am not blown away with the customer service.

0 Likes
bwh1
Contributor - Level 1
I have called at least half a dozen times about this.
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Make sure the sleep timer is turned off.
Do the following:

Menu-Settings-System-Set Top Box- Sleep Timer.

Set it to Never (may need to scroll up).

Should prevent the box from turning off.

0 Likes
robotprom
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, the power off problem mysteriously disappeared, and suddenly reappeared late last week.

Screen Saver is set to No, and Sleep is set to Never. I've done the In Home Agent reset and that didn't help. The box is on when I go to bed, and off when I wake up.

0 Likes
Nheltman

I just received a new STB (to get the larger storage) and am having the same issue with it turning off at night. In preparing for the new box I wrote down all of my saved shows. I did not lose the programming, just anything not watched. 

0 Likes